Skip to main content

Say ‘No!’ To Misery Fiction

 Passing the library the other day, I popped in and selected these two novels for what, I hoped, would be an enjoyable reading experience…

The blurbs were promising. The covers were pleasant to mine eye. The number of pages weren’t too many or too few. Two books, I hoped, that would contribute to my January ‘read at least 6 books’ target. 

‘Needlemouse’ was very entertaining. One of those engaging novels you can whip through in one sitting, or at least in the space of 24 hours, which I did. 

‘A Girl Made of Air’ however, was a different kettle of miserable dead fish altogether. I don’t know why but I thought it might be in the same vein as ‘The Night Circus’ by Erin Morgenstern which I enjoyed enormously. It wasn’t. The prose was readable enough, if a tad verbose, but it soon became clear that the initial tone of abject misery wasn’t going to be lifted with occasional segues into comedy or general light-heartedness of any sort. Come on, author! Even Shakespeare knew it is imperative to inject a bit of light relief to give the audience a breather in an otherwise doom and gloom plot line. That’s why he put a drunken night porter in ‘Macbeth’ to provide a lewd jokes interlude before the bloody massacres continued apace. ‘Where’s the comedy juggler?’ I thought. ‘Or a cute baby elephant that gets up to endearing japes?’ The author did mention llamas quite a lot, but even they were depressed. And everyone knows that a llama can be comedy gold, what with the projectile spitting and fluffy hair-do. 

Anyway, at page 57, I decided to hop ahead to randomly selected pages in search of a glimmer of humour. Nope - couldn’t find it anywhere. If anything, the plot appeared to be growing grimmer and grimmer. It was like putting a load of heavy fabric clothes in the tumble drier and finding it still soggy in the middle at the end of the cycle. A constant sense of impending laundry-based gloom. I half-expected the back page to be coated in cyanide or arsenic so the reader could lick it and put themselves out of their plot-induced misery. 

Life is too short to waste time reading such depressing fiction. There’s enough misery in the real world already. And that is why I write comedy! This novel will not be part of my January 6. And I’m reaching for an emergency Terry Practchett, now, to perk myself up. (‘Unseen Academicals’ in case you are wondering.)


Comments

Anonymous said…
Indeed. Can be said about other things too. No need to waste time
KJ
Denise said…
It’s bad enough being dragged down by the real world, KJ, without fiction joining in. Fun fiction, that’s what I say!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.