Skip to main content

Desk Space

There are two places I enjoy writing in the cottage. One is at the dining room table, at the far end from the kitchen facing North. It is a place that has the right ‘vibe’ to it, I don’t know why. However, it’s not really convenient because my writing resources - books, folders, notes etc - are all upstairs…

…in my writing room at the front of the house. The dining room position is as far from the writing room position as can be and I really can’t be doing with having to bolt up and down stairs every time I need something. I know it’s good exercise but it does rather break the creative flow, as it were - all that bouncing up and down. I use the dining-room, then, only when I’m starting a fresh idea and am in ‘head down and go, go go!’ mode.

 My writing room still needs redecorating. Every time I think I know how I want it to look, I end up talking myself out of it, or I find myself distracted by things like, oh, I don’t know - puppies, for example. I think, ‘How about peacock tail colours - all navy, emerald green and purple?’ Or, ‘Orange! That’d be cheerful!’ Then, ‘Perhaps creams and greens, with splashes of blue?’ It’s all very discombobulating because usually I am pretty decisive when it comes to interior design visions.

However, I have been moving the various bits of furniture around in the room to see what feels right and works best. And I’ve bought some paint. And I have some wallpaper that I bought ages ago because I liked it which I think might be okay for the room. Also, Heather gave me two large and beautiful silk wall hangings depicting ‘The Sun’ and ‘The Moon’ tarot cards, which are DEFINITELY going up on the walls. Another thing I have decided is that I need a bigger desk.

The more I write, the more I like to spread out. I have my laptop to write on, and my iPad next to that in its little iPad beanbag, so I can do bits of research as I write. Otherwise I have to faff with split screens on my laptop. And then I have a notebook to scribble stuff down that I need to revise, or think about. Maybe jot down questions as they arise. I have a coaster for my tea mug. And a novel, because sometimes I need an interlude from writing, and I find that reading someone else’s fiction keeps the writing mood going but gives my brain a break at the same time. 

And then I have a big dollop of woolly cat to add to the crowded desk top mix. Bambino Bobble Wilson likes to sprawl on my desk to keep me company. Sometimes he sleeps on my lap, but then he gets too hot and moves to the top of the desk. And my current desk is actually a small dressing table which is 102 cms long and 43 cms deep. As you can imagine, the space soon becomes overwhelmed. Therefore, juggling and manoeuvring has to take place. Things fall off. The Writer become testy. 

Today has been Hunt The Desk Day. It soon became clear, after a visit to a showroom, that a desk that is already built is too big to make it up our narrow and sharp angled staircase and landing. Andy expressed fears he would come home from work and find me squashed to death beneath a desk I had tried to move upstairs by myself. Therefore, flat pack is the way to go. Easy to take upstairs in small pieces to be built in situ. As we aren’t planning on moving house again, getting it back down the stairs is not an issue. 

After much web browsing and measuring, I think I’ve found the Chosen One. It’s a corner unit with lots of storage and, get this, the desk top space is 152 cms wide by 60 cms deep! That’s waaaaay bigger than my current working space! Of course, Bambino says he bets he can sprawl out even further if he needs to. Hmmmmm….we’ll see about that. 

Today has also been ‘More Puppy Photos Arrival Day.’ Here’s our Puppy As Yet Unnamed in the midst of a sibling pile-on. Hasn’t she got the BEST black button nose ever??




Comments

Anonymous said…
Should I mention the possibility of a monitor where you could split the screen without compromise your eyes? Nah, I won’t. Glad you got yourself a bigger desk you deserve it. Reminds me a bit of Charlie Chaplin’s movie “The dictator”… worth a watch. 😉
KJ
Denise said…
I did think about a monitor. KJ, but that would merely add another layer of tat to my working space! I ordered my new desk this morning and it has a quick delivery turnaround so I guess that means I’ll be doing some long overdue decorating this coming week. The Universe is behind me, cracking a whip!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.