Skip to main content

Busy Busy

 My bum is flat, my eyes are square and I thought I was going to have an attack of sciatica, but managed to avert it by performing some emergency Pilates. And all because I have spent all weekend attending the TABI (Tarot Association of the British Isles) Mid-Winter Conference which was, as is the case with such events these days, conducted over the Zoom. The plus side, of course, is that I could provide tea and refreshments to myself that I actually enjoyed (some rather lovely home baked rock cakes, since you ask). Also, during the less than scintillating lectures, there is the advantage of being able to switch off the video camera AND the ability to pretend you are making intense notes just out of camera view when, in fact, you are reading a jolly good book. You can’t get away with that when you are attending a face to face conference.

We had the added excitement of a conference raffle, with ten prizes of different Tarot decks and books.


…ME! I actually won a raffle prize! This is only the third raffle prize win of my entire life, so I was very excited. I was so excited I can’t remember what it was I won - I think it was one of the Tarot decks. I think the win was a reward from the Universe for my tenacity in sitting through a couple of quite challenging-on-the-tedium front lectures and not rolling my eyes. Mind you, I am an ex-teacher, so have been well-trained. 

It’s been a very busy four days, social engagement-wise. On Thursday, Heather and I went to see The National Theatre Live’s production of ‘The Crucible.’ It was an engaging, if slightly bizarre, production. The character of Abigail Williams didn’t develop at all, presenting as she did from the get-go as mad as a box of hysterical frogs with Tourette’s. The actor who played John Proctor seemed to take cowboy John Wayne as his inspiration, all wide legged rolling gait and leisurely drawl. There was a school party in the audience, presumably because they were studying the play as a GCSE text. I was disappointed they didn’t all snigger when Abigail delivered the line, ‘and I will come to you in the black of some terrible night and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you’ because it always made MY drama students guffaw, goodness knows why. Anyway, it was entertaining enough, and the half time ice-cream was delish! 

Then, on Friday morning, Andy said, ‘Fancy going to see David O’Doherty at the Lyceum in Crewe this evening?’ And because we can occasionally demonstrate acts of spontaneity, we immediately booked tickets and had an evening at the theatre! This is David O’Doherty…


He’s a stand up comedian, and we always laugh when he is on the telly. He was even funnier at the theatre! However, his story about mice did make me feel slightly queasy. But it was funny.

And now, after all the excitement of the last four days, I feel quite tired. I do have one more appointment to attend, which is tomorrow and is a check up at the dentist. Saving the best to last. Not. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
You do know how to have a good time! And winning a raffle prize too! Congratulations! My mum won a salami knife once when I was a child so our family does not have a great record either of winning any thing.
KJ
Denise said…
Of course, KJ, what I really want to know now is: is that salami knife still in the family??
Anonymous said…
Good question, I very much doubt it. Could it be the reason why our winning strike is non-existent? I think I am doomed...
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.