Skip to main content

Plans Ahoy!

 

It is late in the evening and Jack Green is sitting in the kitchen by the Aga relating stories of his experiences of being Lord of Misrule to the increasingly cheerful-looking hens. All animosity between Mrs Miggins and Misses Pumphrey, Poo and Slocombe is forgotten, so caught up are they in this unexpected chance to have the sort of exciting Christmas celebrations to which they are accustomed. Even Bambino is considering rescheduling his Caribbean cruise.

Mrs Miggins is sitting at the kitchen table scribbling away in her massive planning notebook. This is where she excels – organising the chaotic into the slightly less chaotic. She especially enjoys it if it’s at short notice and the pressure is on. Put a hen in hot water, and what do you get? Action, that’s what. And possibly the smell of some fancy bubble bath.

‘So,’ she says, ‘basically, we are going to help you put on a three-day Yuletide Festival celebration which will reinforce the magic of the Old Ways of the Land and secure the safety and productivity of the World for another year?’

‘Implausible as that sounds, yes,’ says Jack. ‘It’s all about tradition and symbolism, you see. Giving people hope for the future during the cold, bleak Winter months. Showing them that after loss and rest comes growth and renewal.’

‘It sounds a bit, well, superstitious to me,’ says Mrs Poo. 'A bit woo-woo.'

‘There’s a lot to be said for superstition,’ says Mrs Pumphrey. ‘For example, I sprinkle elephant dust around the gardens EVERY morning, and we’ve NEVER suffered a plague of elephants, have we?’

In the face of the evidence, the others have to admit, that no, they haven’t.

‘And this magic works via the telling of a series of Yuletide stories, yes?’ says Mrs Miggins, still scribbling, her chicken eyes rows furrowed with concentration.

‘It does,’ says Jack. ‘Don’t ask me how it works, but it does, and it has done so for hundreds and hundreds of years. Although,’ he adds, somewhat ruefully, ‘it’s getting harder every year.’

‘As the actress said to the bishop!’ says Ptolemy.

‘Really, PP!’ says a shocked Mrs Pumphrey, and she goes all pink and coquettish.

‘What are these stories?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who has been on hot chocolate and ginger cake duties and thinking, this is more like it. This is more like Christmas.

Jack thinks for a moment. ‘Well, for example, 13th December is St Lucia’s Day which celebrates Lussi, who was a horrible and powerful demon. She flies on a broomstick, causing chaos, destroying property, killing crops and livestock, and kidnapping people.’

‘Sounds cheerful,’ says Mrs Slocombe.

‘Sounds like my distant cousin Teresa,’ says Mrs Poo. ‘Distant for a reason.’

Jack continues. ‘Then there’s Krampus,’ he says. ‘He is a demon goat. He collects horrid children and takes them away forever.’

‘Sounds like an excellent public service to me,’ says Mrs Poo.

‘Or the 13 Yule Lords,’ says Jack. ‘They are sometimes known as the Yulemen. They visit houses to tell grim and gruesome stories, play jokes and deliver light acts of mischief to cheer up the dark Winter. They have a cat, which stalks the land looking for children to eat. I rather like the Yulemen. I thought perhaps we could base our performance around them. Especially as we have a cat.’ And he looks at Bambino who is sitting on the table washing ginger cake crumbs from his whiskers.

Mrs Miggins looks up from her notetaking.

‘If I may be as bold to say,’ she says, ‘none of these stories and characters sound very Christmassy, do they?’

‘That’s because they are Yuletide stories,’ says Jack. ‘And Yule has been around longer than Christmas. Back to the days when life was a lot grimmer. Before Human Rights were invented.’

‘And they’re not very child-centered stories, are they?’ persists Mrs Miggins, who has been led to believe that Christmas is all about the children, even though she finds children annoying, irritating and self-entitled little snotbags. 

‘Is that a problem?’ says Jack. ‘

Mrs Miggins shrugs. 'I suppose not,' she says.   

Comments

aileen g said…
Hi Denise. I used to read along on your blog some time ago but have returned as I am presently recovering from some surgery so unable to do much except mooch about the airwaves. Thank you so much for your annual story about Much Malarkey Manor. It's very gripping and something I look forward to reading each day. You are extremely talented and imaginative. Did you ever finish off the one about the man who died and haunted the house left to his sister? Sorry, I can't remember what it was called but enjoyed that one very much too.
Denise said…
Aileen - hello! How lovely to hear from you again. I’m wish you a good recovery from your surgery, and thank you so much for your kind words. It’s comments like yours that keep me going as a writer, and give me hope that one day I might be a published novelist.

As for ‘Clive and Min’ - well, it is actually on the top of my writing pile once the MMM Christmas Story is finished for this year. I worked on it over the Summer to try and untangle some of the knots I’d written myself into, and I am now determined to finish it. When it is finished, I shall self-publish it because I think it’s one of my best so far. Your encouragement has spurred me on, so thank you for that. I do hope you enjoy the rest of the Christmas story!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.