Skip to main content

Get Your Goat

 


Bolstered by the success of the Festival of the Yule Boar, and possibly the consumption of too much spicy sausage, Mrs Miggins, Mrs Pumphrey, Mrs Slocombe, Mrs Poo, Ptolemy Pheasant, Jack Green and Bambino Bobble Wilson are up early and eager to crack on with the Festival of the Yule Goat.

‘Ooooh, I say,’ says Mrs Pumphrey, as Jack appears in the ballroom dressed as a goat, with (dare I whisper) tackle up and out, ‘that’s a risqué costume if ever I saw one!’ And she steps forward to make a closer inspection, because Mrs Pumphrey is all about the detail.

(N.B Be reassured it is faux costumery tackle, a magnificent cod-piece if you will, and nothing even vaguely resembling anything realistic. Just saying. Didn’t want anyone to panic or report me to the Master of the Revels for flouting indecency laws.)

‘As Lord of Misrule,’ says Jack, trotting around in his goat costume (mostly to keep a distance between himself and Mrs Pumphrey) today is the day when I represent the Christmas Goat, which is a pagan fertility symbol.’

‘A pagan fertility symbol?’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘We’ll have none of THAT malarkey here, my lad. Go on, outside with you now. You can come back in this evening for your storytelling session, and not before. Pagan fertility, indeed!’

Jack laughs and duly trots off. Looking through the ballroom window, Mrs Miggins can see a queue of cars making their way down the driveway. ‘Right!’ she says, turning to her team. ‘Here we go! Who’s on Circus Skills duties?’

Ptolemy Pheasant steps forwards, dressed in a sequined leotard and tights, and with a top hat balanced precariously on his head. He appears to be sporting some sort of twirly faux moustache on his top beak/bill/birdy lippy thing, too. Either that or he’s been rootling for slugs for breakfast and has missed one.

‘I am the Ring Master!’ says he, strutting around in a suitably ringmaster-like fashion.

Mrs Pumphrey giggles.  ‘Oooh, PP!’ she says. ‘You look thoroughly magnifique!’

Mrs Miggins is thinking she should take the precaution of sending Mrs Pumphrey off-site for the day. The whole ‘fertility’ aspect of today’s Yule Festival seems to be sending her into realms of the unnecessary.

However, because we have already established that Bambino can read minds, AND he has been complaining to the Writer that he doesn’t seem to be featuring much in the story of late, he steps forwards with a solution to Mrs Miggins’ thoughts. ‘Mrs Pumphrey,’ he says, ‘would you be kind enough to accompany me in the motorbike and sidecar ensemble for a trip into the village? We need to source some, er…sauce for the puddings Mrs Slocombe is making for the story-telling session this evening?’

‘I’m not making puddings,’ says Mrs Slocombe. ‘I’m making mince pies.’

‘Aaah,’ says Bambino, ‘but you MIGHT be making puddings, mightn’t you? And they might be puddings that require sauce, yes?’ And he tilts his head in the direction of Mrs Pumphrey who is now all over Ptolemy Pheasant like a rash. And he adds a big wink for added effect.

Mrs Slocombe looks confused. ‘Really, I am NOT making puddings as well as mince pies. If people don’t like mince pies they can stuff it up their ba…’

‘Just pretend to make some sodding puddings!’ shouts Mrs Miggins, pointing at Mrs Pumphrey. ‘And get that wanton hussy out of here!’

Mrs Slocombe finally acts like a branch, and twigs. ‘Oh, I SEE…’ she says. ‘Well, yes, actually I DO need some sauce for the ‘puddings’, and it would be VERY helpful if Bambino and Mrs Pumphrey could go and find some for me.’

But Bambino has already prised Mrs Pumphrey off Ptolemy and is leading her to the front door. ‘We’ll be back MUCH later!’ he calls over his shoulder.

‘Thanks!’ shouts Mrs Miggins. She is loving how everyone is working together as a team once more.

The sun is setting by 4.30 p.m, as is its wont at this time of year. The outdoor festival activities have been another success. And now, as the afternoon chills and darkens, people are heading into the warmth of the Manor and to the ballroom to enjoy the telling of the story of the Christmas Goat via the medium of dance, drama and shadow puppetry. Mrs Slocombe is on hand with wassail and mince pies. The gentle hum of happy voices resonates around the ballroom as people take their seats. A small child asks, ‘Will there be real ghosts, Mum?’ And her mum says, ‘It’s a goat story, not a ghost story. Don’t worry.’

Now, because of the nature of pagan fertility stories and Mrs Miggins being determined to make this Yule Festival a family event, she has decided on a harmless festive goat game, free of smut and alarm, and instead full of harmless joy and fun. She has called it ‘Goat and Seek’. She has her fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.