Skip to main content

A Game of Goats

 


Dear Reader(s), there have been issues surrounding the writing of the chapter of the ‘Festival of the Goat.’ The Writer has been distracted and scuppered by petty daily annoyances involving (in no particular order): sheep and Vladimir Poo Tin’s lid, being signed up the People’s Pension against her wishes, an almond and a tooth filling, the rewriting of a Will for the sake of a £25 Marks and Spencer’s gift card, a watch battery dying at the exact point she needed that watch, chuffing thieving starlings EVERYWHERE, a previously unheard of inertia regarding when to put up the Christmas tree, AND sub-zero temperatures making sitting and writing a jolly chilly activity.

Anyway, all these things conspired to drain the creative muse from her. Just as she was beginning to lose faith in Day 19 and thinking that maybe she could use going on strike as an excuse for a blank page, she received a phone call.

Particularly observant readers amongst you might have noticed the absence of a figure who is a regular participant in the Much Malarkey Manor Christmas Stories, and that figure is Tango Pete. And, as chance (or manipulation) would have it, ‘twas Tango Pete who ‘phoned.

‘I’m glad you haven’t called upon my services for your Christmas Story this year,’ said he. ‘Only I’ve been VERY busy setting up my new business.’

‘Oh yes?’ said the Writer. ‘What business is that, then?’

‘Goats!’ said Tango Pete. ‘Actually, it’s a bit of a charity, too. I've set up a retirement home for performing goats. I’m like that place in the countryside just outside Maidstone, in Kent. The Buttercup Goat Sanctuary.’

(N.B Buttercup Goat Sanctuary is a REAL place. Check it out at buttercups.org.uk. It’s amazing. Full of goats galloping around in goat euphoria. It’s about a mile or so up the road from the Writer’s childhood home. She has visited on several occasions. She mostly avoided being stampeded by goats.)

‘Ex-performing goats, you say?’ said the Writer. ‘Actually, you might be able to help me out with the story this year. I'll make a donation, of course. Let me speak with Mrs Miggins and get back to you.’

So…Day 19 – A Game of Goats

Mrs Miggins dials the number she has been given. She is greeted by an answerphone and the following message:

‘If you need some help, and you wanna do good…who ya gonna call? GOAT BUTTERS!’

Mrs Miggins rolls her eyes. That was a bit laboured, even by the Writer’s usual standards.

‘Hello, Goat Butters Rescue, how can I help?’ says a familiar voice.

‘Tango Pete?’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘Is that you?’

‘Mrs Miggins!’ says Tango Pete. ‘The Writer said you’d call. I understand you want to hire some goats for a Yule Time festival party game?’

‘I do!’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘For tomorrow.’

‘How many do you need?’ says Tango Pete.

‘Fourteen, please,’ says Mrs Miggins.

‘No probs, dear lady,’ says Tango Pete. ‘I’ll get loading up and be with you before breakfast.’

Because yes – things can and do happen that quickly if you leave Mr Procrastinator in his basket and crack on with the jobs list in hand.

At breakfast on Yule Goat Festival Day, the paddock at the back of the Manor is filled with goats numbering way more than fourteen.

‘I thought you said forty,’ says Tango Pete. ‘Soz.’

Mrs Miggins looks at the plan for her Yule Time Goat Game. ‘I suppose we could extend the game to the village,’ she says. ‘My original plan was to play it in the Manor only, but we could include more people with more goats.’

‘That’s the spirit!,’ says Tango Pete. ‘Every cloud and silver linings, eh? What are the rules of the game?’

‘Well,’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘You take a goat and you hide it in someone’s house without them noticing. It’s a game of subterfuge, cunning and stealth.’

‘Sounds like a firm of solicitors,’ says Tango Pete. ‘Ahahahahahahaha!’

‘It’s a traditional Yule game of olde worlde times,’ says Mrs Miggins.

‘Very odd,’ says Tango Pete. ‘But I’m sure the goats will love it! What’s the prize for breaking and entering a friend’s house and leaving a goat in their living room?’

‘The satisfaction that you’ve achieved such an idiot goal?’ suggests Mrs Miggins. ‘But I do have some standby rounds of goats’ cheese. Just in case of complainants.’

Honestly, this was an ACTUAL game. Try it. The Writer would be interested to know how you get on. However, she would like to point out that she would be MOST unhappy to find a goat in her own home. Just saying.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.