Skip to main content

A Fine Bromance

 

Back at the bothy, and replete on Fray Bentos meat pie, mashed potatoes and peas, Ptolemy Pheasant and Jack Green have fallen into companionable silence in front of the warmly glowing woodburning stove. They are sipping tea and dunking shortbread biscuits, which is one of the very best ways to spend an evening – fact. Better than dunking Jaffa cakes. That never works.

Ptolemy thinks that now would be a good time to broach the subject of Jack being resident in the bothy and thinking it is okay to purloin another chap’s pie and provisions.

‘So, Jack,’ he says. ‘What brings you to these parts? How come you’ve ended up staying in my love shack and eating my pies?’

Jack Green stares at Ptolemy. He is mid-dunk, and Ptolemy’s question takes him by surprise, so much so that he forgets he is in mid-dunk and the end of his biscuit falls off – PLOP! – into his tea. This is the only downside of spending an evening drinking tea and biscuit dunking. One must be ever vigilant if one is to avoid spoiling such a grand event with a floppy biscuity mess.

‘Botheration!’ says Jack. And then he promptly bursts into tears.

Ptolemy thinks this is rather an over-reaction to the lost end of a biscuit and immediately feels guilty at having caused a man of such enormous stature and girth to cry. ‘I say,’ he says. ‘Steady on there, old chap. No offence meant. I mean, you are more than welcome to stay here. It is a shelter for the lost and weary traveller after all.’

Jack gives an enormous sniff and blows heavily into his handkerchief, which makes Ptolemy feel a bit queasy because he’s not great with phlegm, slime and ooze. ‘That’s EXACTLY what I am,’ Jack wails. ‘Lost and weary! I am in the biggest pile of doo-doo and I don’t know what to do…do….’

And he flings himself onto the rug in front of the woodburning stove and beats the floor, all the while a-wailing and a-snotting.

Well, thinks Ptolemy. Now what? He’s very au fait with comforting ladies in distress, but hulking great big blokes? They are a different kettle of haddock altogether. He alights from his own chair and tentatively pats Jack on the shoulder that isn’t heaving quite as much as the other with the effort of sobbing so hard.

‘Come now, Jack,’ he says. ‘Things can’t be THAT bad, surely? Can I get you a drink? I’ve got a rather nice vintage whisky hidden away in the corner cupboard over there…’

‘No, you haven’t,’ comes the sniffling and blubbering response from Jack. And he flails an arm vaguely in the direction of the waste paper bin, where Ptolemy immediately sees the top of the whisky bottle poking out.

‘Empty?’ he says, a bit crestfallen, because it had cost him ALL of his supermarket loyalty points accumulated over the last two years.

Jack lifts his head up from the rug, sniffs and nods. ‘Sorry,’ he says.

Ptolemy helps Jack up from the floor, in the best way he can given he is barely a foot tall and Jack is at least six feet taller and a hundred times the weight. He sits him back in chair, tucks a blanket over his knees, makes a fresh pot of tea and, when the wild sobbing has abated to little more than a snivel and drip, he says, ‘Now, why don’t you just tell me all about your doo-doo, and we’ll see what we can do, eh?’

Jack looks at him, gratefully. ‘If it’s all the same with you, I’d rather turn in for the night. I feel quite exhausted. If I start talking about my doo-doo now, I’ll just become even more confused and then I won't be able to sleep. What with that, and the surfeit of pie and mash.’And he pats his stomach.

‘Fair enough,’ says Ptolemy, who’s had quite enough of the histrionics, too. The experience is well outside his manly comfort-zone, although he does have a strange and growing feeling that now might be a good time to develop his emotional intelligence skills. He bids Jack goodnight, and decides perhaps he will stay, too, snuggled up in front of the fire, wrapped in his favourite tartan blanket. The blanket smells of Mrs Pumphrey’s perfume – Sssshenelle No. 37.5. Lovely!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think. 

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee