Skip to main content

Unexpected Bag in the Item Area

 I know how entertained some of you are by the aggravation that I seem to attract when I visit supermarkets, so here is another little gem to cheer you up:

As I was in town the other day I thought I’d nip into Morrison’s as I needed to pick up a couple of gift card and Morrison’s was the nearest stockist. Whilst there, I popped a few other bits in my basket, including the DVD of ‘Encanto’ which I haven’t yet seen and I am curious as to why they don’t talk about Bruno. 

Small basket of goods in hand, then, I headed towards a staffed checkout. Usually, I would go to the self-service checkouts because I don’t mind using them and they have the added advantage of enabling me to avoid crabby checkout assistants. Morrison checkout staff need to take a leaf out of Aldi’s book. Aldi checkout staff are invariably cheerful and that is why I mostly shop there now. That, and the cheaper prices. 

Anyway, I was happy to stand in a very small queue because of the activating of the gift cards malarkey. However, a small, elderly and clearly powered by Duracell batteries assistant thought otherwise and shunted me over to the self-service checkouts under the incorrect assumption that I didn’t know how to use them and she, aged 93 and a half if she was a day, would show me how.

‘I’m au fait with how to use a self-checkout, thank you,’ said I. ‘Only I’m buying a DVD and two gifts cards and would rather use the staffed checkouts.’

‘Oh, they’ll go through the self-checkouts just fine,’ said the assistant. ‘Put your heavier stuff through first, and the gift cards last. They’re light and they might not register. I’ll hang around and make sure they go through.’

I did a little inward sigh and set about putting through my items. All fine, until the first gift card. It scanned, it activated, I dropped it in my shopping bag. 

‘Please place your item in the bagging area,’ said the machine. As predicted, it didn’t register that I HAD put the item in the bagging area. I looked around for my fairy godmother assistant, expecting her to leap in and help. 

Reader, she had vanished. Cleared off. Nowhere to be seen. Pouff!

I removed the gift card from the bagging area and tried throwing it violently back into the bag. Nope. I tried taking out the DVD and throwing THAT back in the bag. Nope. The machine’s voice was telling me over and over again to ‘put the item in the bagging area,’ and I wasn’t shy in telling it in a firm voice of high volume that ‘I HAVE put it in your STUPID bagging area, you STUPID machine.’ 

I stood around, waiting for someone to come and sort out a problem that shouldn’t have been. I got to the point where I was going to pile all my bits back in my basket and return to a staffed checkout which, if I hadn’t been so meek and agreeable to being moved, because I was taught to respect my elders and definitely NOT argue with them, I would have been through by now and probably half way home. 

Just at that point, another shop assistant looked in my direction and I caught her eye. I wished I hadn’t. I should have thrown it back. ‘Miserable’, ‘sour’, ‘sullen’ and ‘ungracious’ are the adjectives that flashed through my mind as I watched her stab at the checkout keypad with considerable venom, and then do it again because I had a second gift card to put through which, again, the machine refused to believe I had put into the bagging area. 

‘Thank you!!’ I said, brightly, cheerfully, graciously (adjectives to describe me), and she gave a bit of sneer and walked off without saying a word. Seriously, if you got caught up in a fight in a pub, you’d want her on your side. But I suspect she isn’t on anyone’s side except her own.

I wondered, as I fled Morrison’s (and feeling the very strong urge to get home and clean my aura as soon as possible) if she’d been on the receiving end of many customer complaints. I bet she has. And I bet the management are too scared to sack her. 

There you go, Shopping Aggravation Fans. You’re welcome! 


Comments

Anonymous said…
Perfect timing! I was indeed in need of a supermarket shopping story! Thank you! And I bet you are right the lady is probably getting nothing but complaints all day.
KJ
Denise said…
Seriously, KJ, sometimes I feel like a magnet for these shopping hiccups. It’s like I’m being stalked by some malevolent supermarket spirit. 😂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.