Skip to main content

The Artist’s Wife

When one is the wife of an artist, one is fortunate enough to be blessed with some pretty darn good birthday cards. His Lordship Malarkey and I started making cards for each other a few years back - his to me are lino cut prints, watercolours, ink drawings or computer art, and mine to him are collaged, sewn or knitted. 

Andy surpassed himself with the card he presented me with yesterday. It’s in its own frame and is a representation of all the items mentioned in the song ‘You’re the Tops!’ by Cole Porter and John McGlinn because, says Andy, that is what I am. The tops. Not the Louvre Museum. Not Napoleon brandy. Nor the tens of other things mentioned in the song which are waaaaay too numerous to mention here. Just ‘the tops.’

 (The Birthday Girl blushes prettily and giggles behind her fan. Awwww…shucks!)


 It’s this style of art that I think Andy particularly excels at - the taking of a theme and using often funny and always entertaining detailed drawings composed into an overall piece of art of rare and outstanding individuality. He, of course, is very dismissive of what he can do. Which drives me insane. ‘Enough with all this modesty!’ I shout. ‘Whip out that trumpet and give it a darn good tootin’ eh??’

Anyway, I had a lovely 57th birthday yesterday culminating in a pretty lush meal out with Heather and Ollie in a swanky bar ‘n’ restaurant. So swanky that it was impossible to identify all the ingredients in my starter! That, I think, is a good benchmark for the level of swank in a restaurant. I was very touched by the cards I received, too, which had messages of appreciation for my friendship. This meant a lot, so thank you lovely friends! You know who you are. xx

And so, here I go, embarking on my 58th year in show business! I’m going to be launching my new Tarot Consultancy in the next few months, which is very exciting, least of all because I’m at the stage of designing a business card, and who doesn’t enjoy a bit of THAT malarkey?? 

Cracking on with important stuff today, then. You, too, have a good one! 



Comments

Anonymous said…
Andy, someone once said “don’t ever speak badly about your life. It might be listening”. Apply that to your art. You are really good and that’s that. I really like your idea of making each other birthday cards. I hope you hang them up.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, I’m always telling Andy what a great artist he is. He’s modest to the point of exasperation.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.