Skip to main content

Rage Against Football

There’s an advert, currently on the BBC, which has me yelling at the TV every time it appears. Fortunately, I don’t see it very often. I am too busy doing other more important things these days than watching television. These things include: 

1) raking up leaves. And more leaves. Then extra leaves. Etc. 

2) tidying up the veg garden and drying seeds for next year. I even uncovered a couple of late arrival courgettes. The vegetable that keeps on giving! 

3) weeding weeds that shouldn’t be appearing until next year but are going great growing guns upwards, on account of the extremely mild weather we are currently experiencing. Buttercups are being especially virulent.

4) cleaning windows. I know. Thrilling.

5) whipping the plot of the Much Malarkey Manor Christmas 2022 story into a frenzy of festive excitement

6) continuing with Tarot training because customers are forming a bit of a queue

7) wrapping Christmas presents. Yup, all done and ready to go. I know. Go on. Hate me.

Anyway, back to the advert. It’s for the upcoming football World Cup tournament. It begins with a woman saying, ‘We all love football…’

And I shout, ‘No, we don’t! Do not make sweeping assumptions on behalf of the British Public, because I bet a majority of them are like me and are mightily peed off that from next Saturday and for a WHOLE MONTH the only thing the media will be banging on about will be effing chuffing football and how AMAZING it all is. It isn’t! Aaaaarghhhhhhhh!!!!!’

Or something like that. 

What makes this World Cup particularly unsavoury is that it is being hosted by Qatar, and their human rights record is appalling. But it’s all about the money, isn’t it? Apparently, some football teams are going to be wearing armbands in ‘protest.’ Pathetic. The best protest would be to boycott the tournament. But it’s all about the money, isn’t it? Women as second class and oppressed citizens? No matter - just as long as the money rolls in. Never mind about the people who died in building the stadium because of terrible health and safety matters - it’s all about the money. Never mind the persecution of the LGBTQIA+ community - let’s just rake in the money, eh? Sorry if I sound cross - but sometimes I feel sick of the hypocrisies of this world. Nothing matters more than football. Disgusting.

And this week, even the chap in charge of whatever sh*t show it is that decides these ‘important’ football matters, admitted he regretted giving the tournament to Qatar. Oh, and it took you a few years to reach this conclusion, eh, Mr Sepp Blatter?  (Unfortunately, his name reminds me of a joke told by comedian Hugh Dennis, who always thinks of him as Step Ladder!)

Enough rant. This has been rolling around my head like a rhino with indigestion for a while now. All gone now! 

And tomorrow is World Kindness Day. Now that’s a good thing, yes? Much better than a stupid football tournament. I shall focus on that instead. 





Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree with you. It’s appalling. It’s the same people who wants the government to ‘do something’. They have an opportunity to take a stand and they blow it. Thanks. Not.
KJ
Denise said…
The older I grow, the less tolerant I become of these things, KJ. I don’t know - maybe it’s because one starts to realise what really matters in life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.