Skip to main content

Having a Dream

 Went to see this a couple of days ago…


Admittedly, a bit of escapist nonsense BUT given how much realist nonsense is occurring in the world these days, I’ll take the escapist route every time, thank you very much.

It was a good film. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s about an ordinary woman who finds her dream and sets about achieving it through sheer hard work and focused determination, all the while riding the ups and downs that Life throws at her. She helps people along the way by being cheerful, selfless, honest and straight talking. There should be more of this in the world. And in the end she gets her posh frock, and the posh frock is the beginning of the rest of her life. Marvellous! 

Next week, I am off to see ‘The Lost King.’ I’ve been to the cinema more times in the past three months than I have in the past three years, and that is because Heather is a cinema buff and is determined to make me her cinema buddy! It helps that there is a small independent cinema in town, and the tickets are only £6 each which is marvellous. You don’t have to sit through half an hour of advertising before the film begins, you don’t get bombarded with overpriced popcorn, soft drinks and pouches of sweets AND the film volume is normal and not OBSCENELY LOUD! It also smells nicer than the mainstream cinemas, probably because its audiences are mostly ladies of a certain age and not hideous teenage boys. 

I sent off our monthly electricity meeting reading this morning, on request of our supplier. What happens is that they ask for a meter reading, I submit the meter reading, and then an hour or so later, an accurate bill arrives (all online, of course; we don’t have an über efficient postal service. Do NOT get me started on rural postal services…) 

Anyway, I was feeling a bit trepidatious this morning as this was the first meter reading since the prices went up AGAIN at the beginning of October. I’ve been making extra efforts to cut down our energy usage e.g bulk cooking, banning use of the tumble drier, switching off appliances at the sockets etc, and this has resulted in a 25% cut in the units we use. I was pleasantly surprised, then, that the bill was barely £65 for this last month, which is still almost double what we used to pay for 25% more usage BUT it could definitely be much worse. And we are £90 in credit. I may put lights on the Christmas tree this year after all. 

And because we decided to activate the heating a couple of days ago, the weather has gone mild again and it’s barely been on. Typical, eh? 


Comments

Anonymous said…
Good to take time of reality sometimes even if it only for a few hours. Sounds like a nice cinema without shaking seats or something. Gosh I feel old…
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.