Skip to main content

The Business of Business

Pass me some smelling salts and a goodly dollop of cake, will you? After running some quick errands in town this morning (note to self : remember not to go into town on a Saturday morning, not if you want to remain serene) I came home and thought, I know! I’ll start a bit of business planning towards my new business. Well, you know what it’s like when the urge grabs you to crack on with these things, eh? 

I planned to spend a mere couple of hours getting some ideas down on paper and rearranging them a bit so they looked practical and manageable. And pretty. You know, coloured felt tip pens and the like.

Six hours later, I was immersed in more detailed planning than I thought was possible. My head was spinning, my eyes were fuzzy and my brain was smoking out through my ears. That’s what it felt like, anyway. This is what happens when I become engrossed in something - the excitement and the passion for what I am doing runs away with me. I knew I needed to stop and have a break but I just couldn’t tear myself away. 

Still, I got LOTS done! Whether it will make any sense when I revisit it again during my next business planning meeting with myself is another kettle of pilchards, but then at least I’ll only have myself to argue with which is a big bonus of going into business by oneself. 

As with all my writing, I shall let the plans sit for a couple of days before revisiting them. Tomorrow is going to be a study day and, if the weather is half decent, a clear up the garden day because the leaves are starting to dump themselves in their annual ‘cover the grass with debris’ festival and if I leave them for more than a couple of days we shall be shoulder deep in leaf mould come Spring time. 

Bambino Bobble Wilson has asked if he can be CEO of my new business. His terms are very modest for such a flamboyant cat - a tin of tuna, a large cardboard box and some feathers on a stick - but I’m not sure. He’ll only want to spread himself over all the plans and most likely leave big blobs of fur on them, too. I’ll put his request to the shareholders…

Comments

Anonymous said…
Talk about a red herring (if we are to stay in the fish business). Do not let Bambino Bobble Wilson become CEO if he is anything like some CEOs I have encounter. He will threaten to leave just when you need him the most and increase his salary requirements or if it is going downhill fast he will leave the sinking ship well before the rats ever do claiming he is now a ‘family man’ and misses his family which he hasn’t seen the last two years only to take another job as a CEO two months later.
All examples I have personally witnessed in my unfortunate time in the corporate world. But I’m sure Bambino is made of tougher materials than the examples I just gave.
KJ
Denise said…
Do I detect an undercurrent of irritation there, KJ?? Fear not, Bambino says he is planning to be very much a ‘sleeping partner’ type CEO as long as he can sleep on top of the plans every now and again, because he finds paper and/ or laptops sooooooo cosy!
Anonymous said…
Yes, you would be right. I much prefer Bambino’s version over those sort of shenanigans. I once worked in a company that had a corner office that was named ‘The Catapult Office’ because any VP who took possession of it didn’t last long!!
KJ
Denise said…
Catapult Office! That made me laugh!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.