Skip to main content

For KJ - ‘Ghosts’!

 My over-the-ocean blog chum, KJ, and I have been sharing a few back and forth emails covering various Highly Important topics such as decluttering, jam, stocking up for Winter (NOT hoarding - this is something entirely different and far less sensible) and The Vicar of Dibley. This was on the back of my previous blogpost about NOT wanting ‘The Lord is my Shepherd’ played at my funeral and KJ saying it always reminded her of The Vicar of Dibley on account of it being the programme’s theme tune. 

Anyway, I said, ‘Have you seen the comedy series ‘Ghosts’? It’s The Best Thing EVER!’ (I’m never sure, when discussing TV with my not-living-in-Britain friends, what is available to them in their part of the world. Of course, given we live in a technologically superior age - pah!- everything should be available to everyone wherever they live, but I suspect it is not.)

KJ returned that no, she had not seen ‘Ghosts.’ I also recommended ‘Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing.’ And then I typed ‘Ghosts’ into Dr Google Machine and it came up with completely the WRONG programme which, on closer inspection, would NOT be my cup of tea at all. 

Therefore, before dear KJ thinks I have completely flipped my lid (I may be over-thinking this, but treat it as a precautionary measure) here is the programme much beloved by myself, with a little run down of the main characters:


‘Ghosts’ is a comedy. It is VERY funny, in a way only the British can be. It has all elements of comedy in it, but what is best is that it is inoffensive, gentle, cleverly witty comedy. Something for everyone. It is now in Series 4 and there will be a Christmas Special. 

Alison and Mike are the non-ghost couple who inherit Button House, a sprawling mansion which is exactly the kind of place I would like to inherit. Given this is 99.99% unlikely (but never say never) I have to live the dream of turning such a place into a writer and artist retreat vicariously through the medium of television. In the first episode, Alison experiences a near-death experience which renders her able to see the resident Button House ghosts. Mike is a well-meaning, often inept character, who is also a roundabout way problem solver. He cannot see the ghosts. 

The ghosts are (in alphabetical order so there is no arguing):

1) Julian Fawcett, Member of Parliament. Died with his trousers down some time in the 1980s. The actor who plays him, Simon Farnaby, has excellent legs. He also co-wrote the film ‘Paddington 2’ which is also excellent. Julian is the only ghost who has the ability to move physical objects, although he does look like he is constipation straining when he does so. Too much information? Soz. 

2) Kitty, a Georgian noblewoman. Everything is lovely and adorable in Kitty’s world. And if it isn’t, she cries until it is. The other ghosts are very protective of Kitty’s mental health. Kitty adores Alison and sees them as very best friends.

3) Lady Fanny Button, Edwardian previous Lady of Button House and distant relation to Alison. Outwardly repressed, but inwardly a bit of a tiger waiting to escape. A stickler for good manners, proper etiquette and doing things properly. Shouty. My kind of gal.

4) Mary, a somewhat dim-witted young woman, burnt at the stake for witchcraft in the Middle Ages. Puffs with plumes of smoke on a regular basis. Mary is my least favourite character, but that is my fault, not hers.

5) Pat, a scoutmaster who died from crashing a bus into a tree after being shot through the neck with an arrow. I feel he is the ghost who has the most trouble accepting he is dead. He is wistful of his past life, especially missing things like dipping bread soldiers into soft boiled eggs. Outwardly a gentle sort, but easily riled into a temper. 

6) Robin the Caveman. Robin has been living on the site of Button House for the longest. He has seen more and learned more than all the other ghosts and is therefore often deeply profound and wise, especially when it comes to matters of ‘da moona’ (the moon). He has the power to switch electricity on and off. Robin is my favourite character. Especially when he is trying to learn new words. Like ‘apothecary.’

7) Sir Humphrey Bone, a Tudor Lord who was detached from his head in a quite stunning accident. Sir Humphrey spends most of his time looking for his head. His head gets all the best lines but isn’t much good at physical comedy, what with it being left lying in various and often awkward places.

8) The Captain, from World War II. He is the organiser, very practical, and the character who I think has grown funnier and more relaxed as the series have progressed. He admires Mike enormously, in a closet gay kind of way, and thinks he would make an excellent soldier.

9) Thomas, a romantic poet. It was love at first sight the moment Thomas saw Alison. He woos her on a regular basis and doesn’t think that her being married to Mike is a problem. His poetry is dire, but you’ve got to love a trier (boom! Ha ha!).

Finally, there are the Plague Victims who live in the cellars of Button House and make occasional appearances but not so many that they detract from the main characters. (The Plague Victims are played by the actors who play the main characters and it’s always fun to see them in different roles interacting with their main roles, if that make sense?)

There you go, then! ‘Ghosts.’ The Best Thing EVER! 



Comments

Anonymous said…
Phew! Glad you cleared that up! I’ll take a deeper dive into google world and find the right one.
This ‘Ghosts’ sound fabulously bonkers.
KJ
Denise said…
KJ, it is! I do hope you find it and enjoy it. 🙂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.