Skip to main content

Baked Custard

I’ve been pondering the coming celebrations of Samhain - the time of the year when the veil between this Earth plane and the Spirit plane is at its thinnest - and what I can do to honour the memories of my loved ones who are no longer here. And when I say ‘here’ I mean they are not physically able to pop round for a cup of tea and a biscuit. Of course, they are still ‘here’ because energy never dies, but they’re not as instantly available as once they were. For example, I can still sense Flora Bijou Mybug around the house, but she is no longer available to personally check my oral hygiene as once she did. Nor attempt to murder me on the stairs. Anyway, All Hallow’s Eve, All Souls’ Day and All Saints’ Day are fast approaching and a little ceremony is called for. 

Traditionally, one lights a bonfire, not only in remembrance but to scare away the demonic forces of Winter. To be honest, I think this is a bit harsh on Winter - it’s not my favourite season but I can appreciate the chance to withdraw into the dark evenings, to enjoy candlelight, soups and pies, snuggling on the sofa in front of the fire. To wear something like this…
…but ‘demonic’? Winter does not deserve that particular soubriquet. Winter has its own beauty that is very necessary for the continuing balance of our world. 

Last year I planned on having a bonfire. But it chucked it down with rain, so I stayed inside and lit candles instead. I’m such a lightweight. 

In Scotland, apparently, the tradition has grown to offer baked custard to the spirits of animals that are prone to prey on sheep flocks - eagles, crows, foxes and the suchlike. Call me old-fashioned but I’m pretty certain that, given the choice between a bit of rubbery custard and a nice juicy lamb, an eagle will go carnivore every time. Custard indeed. Pah! Now that IS something that can be described as demonic. All custard does is make everything it touches taste of, well, custard. It does nothing to enhance any pudding with the exception of a banana, in which case banana+custard = banana custard. This is the only acceptable use of custard. Banana custard. At my last school, the cook was obsessed with custard. 

‘I’ll have the flapjack, please.’ 
‘Do you want custard on that?’ 
‘Errr…thanks, but no.’

Seriously, she made it normal practice to serve biscuits with custard. Madness. 

I came home from a girly lunch date yesterday to discover a mangled-to-death fat pigeon on the middle garden lawn. I don’t think I have ever seen the contents and covering of a bird spread over such a wide area. I imagine it was victim to a sparrowhawk attack. A sparrowhawk particularly partial to pigeon breast and pigeon head. We do have a sparrowhawk that hangs around the garden from time to time. Waiting until a pigeon is too fat to get off the ground. Bleurgh….

Not keen to leave what was left of the pigeon lying around (because, sadly, Idiot Bantams do have cannibalistic tendencies. I mean, they might have already had a go, if you get my drift….double bleurgh…) I donned my heavy duty gloves, did a bit of scooping and sweeping, and consigned the remains of the pigeon (bless its soul) to the side field. I said, ‘Next time, come back as something quicker.’ 

I like to think we never stop. That our energy, our essence, is eternal, and that life continues on, just in a different form. And for that reason, I shall use Samhain as a special remembrance of all the lives that have been a part of my life. And when I am gone from here, perhaps someone might do the same for me. But no offerings of baked custard. If you don’t mind. 





Comments

Anonymous said…
What is it with custard and British schools?? You are not the first one I have heard discussing “death by custard” served by schools. I have a similar morning thingie? Not sure what it would be called? Oversized hoodie? Not as fluffy but enough to keep the colder mornings at bay. Being a winter child myself I don’t mind winter. I do mind being cold though. Not having it.
KJ
Denise said…
I’m not a custard fan, KJ. I will always decline custard if it is offered. It seems a pointless substance unless one is going to eat just a bowl of custard. But it’s not for me. I also prefer not being cold. This preference has grown as I get older. Hence the pink ‘thingummy!’

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.