Skip to main content

Off the Roundabout

 


The Magic Roundabout has been CGI’d! I discovered this when seeking out an image for today’s blog, and am now trying to delete the heinous visions from my sight. THIS is a correct image from the programme I remember from my childhood days. Ermintrude was my favourite character. A glorious pink spotty cow wearing a blue hat, chewing a flower and racing around in a hoo-ha. Dougal the Dog was a close second - I used to make models of him using tubes from loo rolls, wool and empty egg shells. Zebedee got on my nerves. All that boinging. 

(The other image I’m trying to eliminate is one which made me gag on my toast and Marmite this morning; a revelation in the news that a prisoner was discovered, after being x-rayed, to have been hiding an iPhone up, and I quote ‘an intimate part of his body.’ Ye gods, what is WRONG with people? An iPhone?? Seriously??? Eurghhhh…)

Anyway, back to The Magic Roundabout. It is a metaphor connected to my continuing focus on letting go of things in life that no longer serve my current purpose or pathway. I am climbing off roundabouts. And a roundabout I climbed off a couple of weeks ago was The Roundabout of Paid Employment. Yes, I have given up my job.

I was aided in climbing off this particular roundabout by a cumulative series of niggling events, so when the time to jump came I didn’t even really need the roundabout to slow down that much. Decision was made with almost immediate effect, and in the words of the Righteous Brothers, ‘There’s no regrets, no tears goodbye.’ I leapt from the roundabout and landed as sure footed as a mountain goat wearing ballet slippers and a flouncy tutu. 

Of course, I realise this course of action isn’t an option for everyone, especially as the cost of living rises, but it is a course, with gratitude, I am able to take. So I did. I’ve worked hard in life to ensure a pretty good degree of financial security - my living needs are few and simple. Therefore, my time to toss in being at the behest of some employer is now. I am a writer. I need to devote my working life to writing if I am to call myself a proper writer. It doesn’t matter if I make a financial living from writing. What I WILL make is a creative, satisfying, spiritual and contented living from writing. 

Oh, I know - it all sounds a bit fairytale and fantastical. And why not? We are terrible at relaxing and welcoming magic into our lives. We have to worry about this and that, live in fear of ‘what ifs’ and ‘buts’, constantly fretting about a million things when, in reality, 99% of them won’t ever happen. And if they do? Well, we’ll get through them, won’t we? (Okay, so I might be wearing my ‘Little Miss Blasé’ t-shirt today - I don’t care! The sun is shining, Lord Malarkey is harvesting apples, and I am a writer! And today is the only day I have to think about.)

At the moment, not having to go out to work still feels a bit like being on holiday. However, I do know the time will come when I will feel the dutiful urge to go out and get another job because that is the way I was raised - to work hard for money. That, dear reader, is the time when I must NOT climb back on the roundabout. I must say to Mr Rusty, ‘It’s okay, thanks Mr R! Don’t slow the magic roundabout for me. I’m not climbing on. I’m going to carry on exploring the magic garden!’

As Dougal the Dog said, ‘I’m here. Let joy be unconfined!’ (He also called Ermintrude a ‘mad, bovine fool’ but we shan’t dwell on that…)





Comments

Anonymous said…
Good for you!!! Getting off that rusty old roundabout. Btw. have you joined the dark side? Abbreviations ?! First I saw a sneaky one “(obvs)” now “CGI’d” (Canadian General Investment, the list goes on and in of possible meanings!) 🤣.
KJ (an allowable abbreviation)
Denise said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said…
I love that CGI can mean Canadian General Investment, KJ. How about, when it is raining, one CGI - can go inside? Oooh, don’t get me started! As you know, generally I can’t abide abbreviations - pure laziness, methinks. But every now and again, one will slip through, so please forgive me. Which I know you will. Obvs. (!!!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.