Skip to main content

A Past Behind

 

I’ve burned all my old diaries. They covered a period of over 14 years, starting early in 2008. They had been sitting in a drawer, staring at me, taking up space, looking lovely in their glamorous covers, challenging me to make a decision about their future. Their destiny had been in my thoughts for a few months. Why was I keeping them? What useful purpose did they serve? They certainly wouldn’t be useful in a Mae West kind of way - ‘Keep a diary and someday it’ll keep you.’ Were they merely pointless clutter? 

When I started pondering their fate, my initial reaction was to destroy them. But that’s a Scorpio habit for you - we are often too quick to burn bridges, cut off our noses, and rid ourselves of what we think we no longer need. With age, I have become less inclined to see life in stark terms of black and white, becoming  more open to those shades of grey (no, not THOSE shades of grey…good grief and heaven forfend…) - but that phoenix-like button of destruction is still there, waiting to be deployed. I like to think it has a soft, padded, fluffy cover on it now. Something you’d have to wallop with a pretty substantial mallet to make work. 

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was home alone and I found myself sitting on the floor of my writing room, diaries spread around. I decided to re-read them. That would be how to identify their value, I thought. Once read, I would know for certain if they were needed in my life. 

So I read. And read. And read. Milestones, weather, gripes, joys. Day-to-day life snippets. Plans, successes, regrets. Frustrations, comedy. Moments I would never forget. Some where I thought, I don’t remember THAT happening at all.

What I read was a collection of patterns, of constant themes that kept applying and reapplying themselves to my life. I began to realise that these diaries, that spanned 14 years of my middle life, had been a support network to get me to where I am now. You know, that idea of writing stuff down so it doesn’t roil around your head in an annoying way? Writing stuff down to make it happen? Writing stuff down because it’s easier to make sense of something when it’s there on a page, somehow disconnected from the inside you. Those diaries had been my counsel and my sounding board, a friend almost, over those years.

And because I’ve been going though a process of letting go and moving on, it became very clear that actually, no, I did not need these diaries. They had served their purpose. And to hold onto them for whatever reason - sentimentality, duty, the time and effort that had gone into their making - would only hold me in the past and I knew now I was stepping forward into My Life - The Next Thrilling Episode. A life book had closed - those diaries were telling me it was a life book way overdue for return to the library. My memory is good - important stuff would be remembered, whatever was forgotten was of no value.  

And so, with thanks and not a moment of regret, I dismantled them all and cremated them in the wood-burning stove. (There was only one half a page I kept. It contained an idea for a children’s book called ‘Butterfly, Bee, Cockroach, Flea’ - a story about an insect detective agency. I felt that still had legs. Lots, with them, being insects and all.)

I shall continue to keep a diary, but it will be different in form, tone and intent, its foundations set in the precious lessons learned from those previous 14 years of record keeping. It will be the kind, as life continues and expands, of which Gwendolen from ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ would approve - ‘I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.’

Comments

Anonymous said…
Agh, my original comment got lost! Good for you to let go! We are in the process of letting go too. It’s a process. We are literally evaluating each item; keep, charity or out. It’s a bit exhausting to be honest but it’s going to be worth it at the end. We got a lot more than just diaries to deal with. It’s all emotional though, one way or the other. My husband believes if he sits still long enough that I might put him out on the curve with a free sign on!
KJ
Denise said…
I don’t know about you, KJ, but I’m finding this letting go process very cathartic. I feel lighter and brighter, like I’m stepping forwards into something new! Are you finding the same? (Your comment about your husband made me laugh!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.