Skip to main content

Avocado

 Heather is quite keen on a smashed avocado on toast. I don’t mind an avocado once it has been guacomoled but the bright green colour suggestive of Kermit the Frog Meets a Sticky End in a Blender puts me off eating avocado on even an occasional basis. Also, I’ve heard too many gruesome stories of fingers being chopped off whilst trying to de-stone an avocado. Also, I remember my Mum having stressy moments when avocados she bought for home dinner parties in the 1970s (when an avocado was all the rage as a modern cuisine starter) went from being hard as a bullet inedible to complete mush inedible in the space of half an hour. ALSO, I remember my Dad installing an avocado bathroom suite in our new house (the colour, not literally made from avocados, don’t be silly now) and thinking, what on Earth is THAT all about? Mind you, we had two bathrooms in that house and the other suite was chocolate brown.

Anyway, Heather duly smashed an avocado yesterday to add to her toast and she offered me the stone. ‘Do you fancy growing an avocado?’ said she.

‘Okay,’ said I. And remembering that you can start them off like hyacinths i.e by dangling their bottoms in water, I retrieved a small, transparent vase with narrow neck in which to balance the avocado stone so I could watch the roots growing out. Well, that’s how it would work in my mind. All peace and calm. 

The stone promptly fell through the not so narrow neck of the vase. 

‘You have to peel the stone first,’ said Heather, who is an old hand at growing avocado stones, having done so with her class at school. 

So having been smashed to pieces, the avocado endured me skinning it. I did it very gently and carefully so I didn’t hurt it too much.

The next problem was how to balance the stone so its bottom would dangle in some water. I found a small pot.

‘Stab it with cocktail sticks,’ said Heather. ‘And the sticks will balance on the edge of the pot, with the stone suspended in the middle.

Smashed, skinned and now stabbed. Poor avocado. Anyway, I did as instructed and here is the result:


Look, the poor thing is even bleeding. I didn’t realise this would be so traumatic an activity. 

I have no idea what happens next. According to Heather, the Master Avocado grower, the stone will split and then has to be inverted so the green stuff grows upwards. I think I shall just sit and observe. 

Three more alien baby swallows hatched yesterday! There might be four. I’ve definitely seen three fuzzy, big beaked heads hanging over the edge of the nest today. They take a couple of weeks to fledge and then will have around a month to get their flying practise in and strength built up before they head off for warmer climes. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I do like avocado. Mashed or otherwise. Avocado green bathroom? They can keep that in the archives as far as I’m concerned. Mind you I own a bathroom that is wall papered with green palms. Even the light switch is wall papered and is matching the pattern exactly. A friend of mine that has done wall paper told me that was actually a very difficult feat after he was done rolling on the floor laughing his head off.
KJ
Denise said…
You’re very brave, having wallpaper in your bathroom. Does it stay stuck, despite the steam? Also, I think papering a light switch is a rare talent and you should be very proud!!
Anonymous said…
Did I mention I didn’t put it there but the previous owners and it’s not going to stay!! Just needed to make that disclaimer. 😄
Kj
Denise said…
You don’t feel inclined to keep it as a quirky design feature, then??!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think. 

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee