Skip to main content

Pasta La Vista

 I don’t know if ‘pasta la vista’ actually means anything, but I’ve been fiddling around writing nonsense poetry today, and jumbled up wormery is what happens as a result. And it fits in nicely with one of the topics in today’s blog, more of which later. 

Anyway, not only have I been writing, I have been reading about working as an independent author, which seems the sensible way to go these days if you want to publish your own work. Ebooks and audio books are two avenues I haven’t considered until now, having always thought about traditional ‘buy in a book shop and hold in your hands’ books. But the world of publishing is changing apace and if one wants to write and publish, one has to roll with the times. One has to be ‘indie’ which I rather like the sound of. Besides, it’s all about learning new skills, keeping the brain interested and active, meeting new challenges that keep you feeling young, right? Of course it is! I’m rather taken with the idea of narrating my own audio books. I like reading out loud and have been told I have a good story-telling voice. When I was a child, I won our primary school Eisteddfod sight reading competition 3 years on the trot. Perhaps being a narrator is part of my destiny…?

I continued my spendthrift roll today. Honestly, I don’t know what’s got into me lately. Today I purchased an hoil ‘n’ waxing kit to rejuvenate the oak worktops in the kitchen, which, after almost 5 years of being cooked and baked on are beginning to look less than their original perfection. I also bought some beeswax polish for the other wooden furniture in the house. We have a lot of wooden furniture in the house. All oak. I like the zen of wood. Especially oak. We have an oak tree up the garden but I shan’t be beeswaxing that. I like to hug it, though. It is a nice oak tree. Reliable. Safe.

And I also bought a pasta making machine. A solid and fairly expensive one. It has consistently good reviews from various sources. It is heavy, so I shall avoid dropping it on my feet. I also bought a pasta drying rack. The last time I made pasta of a tagliatelle variety, I used a broom balanced over two chair backs on which to hang the pasta to dry. It worked okay but it wasn’t ideal, especially as we had three cats at the time - Phoebe, Tybalt and Lily - all of whom liked to bat around bits of whatever dangling from a broom handle. The pasta machine was a lightweight, flimsy type which probably cost less than £20. It was okay, but didn’t really like gripping the table properly, so was a bit slip-slidey which is not what one wants in precision pasta-making. I believe the machine went to live with my son, Chris. Heaven knows what became of it after that.

Have a nice cartoon about pasta…


…isn’t that cute? 

The new Hoover has arrived! It is marvellous! Compact, lightweight, of superb manoeuvrability and suction, and really quiet, too. Lovely L.E.D lights flashing all over the place. Magnificent crevice tool. Big tick, gold star. 

I’ll leave you with a photo of Bambino and Harris, taken this evening. Look at Bambino’s face. Bear in mind  that my lap is HIS domain and HIS domain only. If looks could kill, eh? 






Comments

Anonymous said…
Look up Pasta Grannies, if you are not familiar with the channel, they are worth wasting time on!
KJ
Denise said…
Well, they’re a bit of fun, aren’t they?! My pasta machine arrived today. And I AM a granny!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.