Skip to main content

Heatwave Doings

The petunias I sowed from the cheapo multi-variety packet of seeds I got from Aldi for 99p, it turns out, are pink…


…and the dahlias, from the same job lot packet, are yellow…


So that’s that little mystery solved. The cornflowers, ditto same packet, are pale lilac pink, but they are at the other end of the garden and I cannot be arsed to walk up to get a photo, not in this heat. Plus, if Edith and Sidney see me, they will perform berserk running around their empire because they will think I’ve come up with something for them to eat, which I haven’t, but then I’ll feel guilty and have to go foraging for them, for clover and dandelion leaves and other rabbitty shizzle. And that’s not on my evening agenda. (In case you think I am being harsh on Edith and Sidney, I am not. I’ve foraged for them three times today. They don’t go without, my bunnies.)

I wasn’t at work today, which meant I got to experience Day One of The Heatwave in the comfort of my own home, instead of at work where I would have had to listen to people complaining about how hot it was all day. I’ve got that joy tomorrow. Anyway, it reached 35 degrees C chez Damson Cottage. There was a nice breeze, the inside of cottage itself was 10 degrees cooler than the outside, so all in all, it wasn’t so bad and we all survived. Bambino spent most of the day under the bed. Harris melted on the dining room floor…


I phoned my mate from work and we had a good chat putting the world to rights. I had a chat with my brother, mostly about cheese, about which he was being VERY difficult. He accused his family of stealing his cheese, cheese that HE bought and therefore they had no right to. I suggested several retaliatory solutions, all of which he rejected on the grounds of being spiteful. I said that when it comes to cheese you have to make a stand or where will it all end? Cheesegate, that’s where. Seriously, if you’re getting  possessive about cheese but aren’t prepared to defend it, you need to distract yourself with something else.

I got bitten twice today by bastard buggy insects, but haven’t reacted too badly. Took an antihistamine anyway, because it will knock me out for the night.

Andy went out today and bought the ingredients to make me an open sided potting shed. He says he has ‘A Plan.’ He says he isn’t going to tell me about The Plan because there is a big chance I will reject it if I know about it. This does not bode well. However, in the spirit of learning to be more relaxed about surprises, I am maintaining an air of nonchalance about his renegade potting shed building ideas, and will practice my ‘ever so pleased’ face in the mirror, just in case. 

Andy was also convinced we had a mole visiting the new patio. A couple of days ago he claimed to have seen a small, black furry creature scuttling back and forth along the perimeter of the patio. I showed him the photo of the mole that visited us a couple of years ago…


Yes, that’s it, said he. He set up the trail cam in order to capture images of the mole to prove it WAS a mole. I was very excited about the mole visitation because I love moles. It was the first wild animal I rescued as a child.

Turns out it’s a shrew. Ah well, can’t win ‘em all. Shrews are cute. Not as cute as moles, not in my opinion. But cuter than R.A.T.S.

Mummy and Daddy Swallow have started Brood Number Two. There were 4 eggs yesterday. And I think Mummy Swallow started sitting today. More babies around the start of August then. 



 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looked 'shrew' up as I wasn't necessarily familiar with a shrew. Well that lead me down a ...pardon me... a shrew hole for 30 minutes reading about those little creatures. Cute but murderous on vegetables? Guess you just have to plant some more so there are enough for all creatures, shrews and all.

KJ
Denise said…
I discovered yesterday that the shrew has started to build a nest in my steel toe capped winter work boots. I have removed the nest materials - various leaves and grasses - and taken my boots into the safety of the house. Honestly, bloomin’ shrew liberties…
Anonymous said…
🤣 that made me laugh but a swift need to evict the little bugger immediately is definitely needed. One more day at work and I’m off for a week. It’s never quite enough but it will have to do.
KJ
Denise said…
I hope you have a good week away from work, KJ. I’m certainly looking forward to mine!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.