Skip to main content

Grapes of Glory

 Since installing the pergola last year, and creating what we now call ‘The Mediterranean Corner’, the grape vine has put on some glorious growth. Many bunches of grapes are forming and filling out nicely, and I think this is because His Lordship Malarkey has been dutifully training the vines across their support network, wobbling around up his ladder with pieces of wire and twine, and they’ve enjoyed the extra space.


The grape vine is at the back of the pergola against the shed. The hops are climbing up the front - one either side -and have just started to make their flowers. The fig tree is in the middle and finally behaving itself. It’s been an petulant fig tree, flolloping all over the place and threatening to lose its leaves, but I think now it is resigned to its fate and has achieved a goodly height of an imperial foot, plus healthy and abundant leaf growth. Probably no figs until next year but I am prepared to forgive it, given it hasn’t died on me. 



I can see a wasp sitting on the vine leaves. I might have to keep a close eye on the wasp situation and maybe fleece cover the grapes as they develop. It might just be a random wasp having a rest in the sunshine, of course. But it might be a spy wasp scoping out future spoils in the luscious grape department. 


What I am saying, basically, is that I am proper chuffed with the progress of the grape vine this year. Next year, I am hoping it will achieve full dangle from the roof of the pergola. It’s some to which we can but aspire. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
This is why gardeners are worth hanging around - the optimism and hope for the future. Good qualities
KJ
Denise said…
It’s why one should always do things today, rather than putting them off. If you want to sit under a big tree in your old age, plant it when you are young! The days roll by regardless of our plans and actions.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.