Skip to main content

Down Days then Up Days

 The last few days haven’t been the best. In fact, they’ve been emotionally turbulent. If I didn’t know better, I would say that Mercury has been retrograde, but it hasn’t. It’s just been a case of riding through the shite knowing that this too shall pass and all will be well.

Firstly, my poor, darling husband Andy was on the receiving end of what can only be described as a vitriolic, unprovoked and vile verbal and physical assault by two of his so-called family members, and all this over the settlement of his late father’s estate. I was appalled and disgusted by what happened. I don’t want to go into details because the language used and accusations levelled at Andy were inexcusable, unforgivable and riddled with blatant lies. Anyone who knows Andy will say he is the kindest, funniest, nicest, most decent and intelligent man they’ve met, a man who doesn’t have a nasty bone in his body. Anyway, we are having a gentle weekend, working through the hurt and bewilderment, with me trying to convince him he is a thoroughly good person and these other people are not worth a second thought from here on in. All will be well.

Secondly, and not nearly as horrific, I had an experience at work where I was suddenly expected to deliver a woodwork session to our client base i.e adults with learning and physical disabilities. Now, the problem here is that, in past discussions with my line manager, I have expressed my feelings about being uncomfortable in a woodwork workshop environment, using power tools and other tools associated with woodwork. I have asked for training in how to use some of the power tools, but despite promises, this has never happened. 

Besides, I have been happy delivering our care service in terms of gardening, cooking (indoors and over an outdoor fire), baking, some farming activities, and arts and crafts. I’ve mucked in with all activities including getting more than my share of the mucky jobs like emptying compost bins. But really, woodwork is not my ‘thing.’ It does not appeal, it is noisy and messy. It is not something I would choose to do as a hobby. 

And yet there I was on Thursday leading a session in making solitary bee boxes and feeling very much out of my comfort zone. Oh, I coped, because I do. I was a teacher, for goodness’ sake. I have been described as being calm in a crisis. But I made it very clear to my line manager that I was unhappy at being forced into this situation, and all she said was, well, at least it’s something else you can do now. 

Why do extroverts feel the need to push people ‘outside their comfort zone’ in order to make them learn new things. Why is that necessary? It doesn’t sit well with us introverts. It makes us feel anxious and defensive. It makes us feel bullied. My experience at work that day was not enjoyable. One of the reasons I left teaching was because I wasn’t enjoying it any more. Am I going to have to do the same with this job? 

But…there is plenty of lovely stuff to look forward to, which will help dig the generally upbeat and cheerful Lord and Lady Malarkey out of this miserable reactive fug. For example, Heather and Ollie are starting their Big Move To Shropshire this week, and this time next week they shall be moved in! Ollie starts his new job in August. Heather has an imminent interview for a very exciting potential career change. And when they come up on Friday, they will be bringing my lovely granddaughters with them for a holiday! 

And I’m getting into the thoughts, patterns and rhythms of being an indie author which knocks all the rubbish stuff into insignificance. Life might throw occasional crappy curveballs but the overall picture is fine and dandy! Here, then, is a wish of love, peace and happy days for us all.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Andy, know that they have shown their true selves and that you, if you didn't know it already, is way above them. It is a very tough job you took on and you do not deserve less than civility and support. That manager of yours... enough said.
KJ
Denise said…
People, eh? (Rolling eyes….huffing a bit….)

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.