Skip to main content

D is For…

 

I’ve worked out what it is I don’t like about being called ‘Denise.’ It’s because it sounds too much like ‘disease.’ In secondary school, I remember (now I’ve trawled through the memories) that some vile girls of little brain and no kindness used to call me that. I have no idea why because at school I used to keep myself to myself. I did nothing to deserve their bullying other than being near the top of the class whilst they skulked at the bottom. I can even remember their names - Julie Holland and Elizabeth Woods-Scawen. Nasty pieces of work.

‘Denise’ is the feminine form of ‘Denis/Dennis.’ I don’t like the patriarchal twist to that, being the feminine form of something masculine. The meaning assigned to the name is ‘devoted to Bacchus’ who is the Roman god of wine, the equivalent of the Greek god Dionysus. Couldn’t be more inappropriate, given I don’t drink alcohol, and on the occasion I did try a sip of wine it tasted like vinegar, and if I’m going to have vinegar I might as well have some chips underneath it and make the occasion worthwhile. 

Some people pronounce ‘Denise’ as ‘Deniece’ with an ‘ssss’ sound rather than a ‘zzzz’. That just sounds like the female version of ‘Denephew.’ You know, as in the joke:

‘A woman gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. She asked her brother to go and register names for them. When he returned she said, ‘What have you called them?’ 

‘I’ve called the girl Denise,’ said the woman’s brother.

‘And the boy?’ said the woman.

‘Denephew.’

I’ve been at my current place of work for 2 years and 5 months. My line manager still manages to call me by a colleague’s name. The last time she did it, and laughed it off as she always does, I said, ‘I would appreciate you remembering my name, please.’ But I’ve had this in the past - work people calling me by someone else’s name. This leads me to think Denise is a wholly bland and unmemorable name. It reached peak popularity in the late ‘50s/ early 60s. 

About 4 years ago I applied for a loyalty card for Pets At Home, because there were discounts to be had on cat litter, cat food, bird food etc etc. Whoever processed the form I filled in didn’t bother to check the interference of Autocheck. And my loyalty card came with my name on it as ‘Mrs Dismiss Hunt.’ I never used it after that. 

I’ve wanted to change my name for a long time. I’ve never liked it. But somehow it feels disrespectful to my parents to do so. I’ll be 57 soon. Is that too late to change a name one has lived with for so long? And what would I change it to? Am I being overly sensitive to what, after all, is only a sound that someone is known by? In a world where younger generations have the freedom and support to identify themselves however they feel like, I know I should be able to do the same. But I’m not from those generations. It doesn’t feel that simple to me. 

These are the thoughts that woke me at 4.30 this morning. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
Be your authentic self, always.
KJ
Denise said…
I shall 🙂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.