Skip to main content

Peep peep peep!

 Goodness! Where has that week gone? I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Platinum Jubilee Weekend  celebrating the reign of our wonderful Queen Elizabeth II - all the pomp and circumstance, the pageantry, the music, dancing, the quirkiness and eccentricities that come with being British. And as for that little sketch between Her Maj and Paddington Bear - well, it was quite the most delightful thing I’ve seen on television for ages! And the drone light show at the end of the Jubilee concert was brilliant. In fact, it was all rather brilliant. Yes, I am a Royalist and long may it all continue. 

Heather and Ollie returned to Kent yesterday after a week of scooting around Shropshire looking at areas to house hunt in when they return permanently in eight weeks’ time. They left behind two boxes of books (medium), one motorbike (large) and one cat (small) who hasn’t quite made up his mind about his Uncle Bambino but at least he is tolerating him. Bambino is very keen to be friends. He’s been trying his hardest to curry favour with Harris and, despite receiving a few punches in the face, is determined to be a kitty chum. He is like, ‘C’mon Harris! Come and play with me. It’ll be great!’

In the garden, the baby blue tits have fledged and have been peep peep peeping very loudly ALL day. They’ve been testing out the bird tables, learning how to eat sunflower seeds from their parents, and crashing into windows. Fortunately, there have been no casualties or concussions. There have also been sparrow babies causing a riot, and Woodpecker Jnr made its appearance yesterday, all squat and fluffy, clinging onto the bird table pole as if to say, ‘Well, now what?’ 

The fox gloves are flowering en masse…


…and the bees are loving them! 


I’ve had another rearrange of the greenhouse and the petunias, dahlias, nigella, lobelia, pansies, marigolds and cornflowers are all ready to go into their final planting places. I planted out cosmos, calendula and borage in random places around the garden with the view of do or die. I’m not sure what to do with the sunflowers because the slugs decimated my first batch and I don’t want to give them the satisfaction of having the second batch. I potted on 50 poached egg plants at the weekend, too. Heather reckons next year I should tote some wares around the plant fairs and make a few quid from my excess plants. I seem to have the knack of growing flowers. 

Oooh, and great excitement this morning - the first raspberry of the season! I texted Andy to tell him and he wanted to see a photograph. 

I told him I ate it. The raspberry not the photograph that never was, which would have been VERY surreal if I had. Yet, after the craziness of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, I now believe anything to be possible. 

Number One Raspberry was bloomin’ delicious! 


Comments

Anonymous said…
A raspberry!! How delicious! I was checking blueberries this weekend, around every hour, willing them to turn ripe. I am no fan of blueberries from the stores as they are mostly unripe and therefore makes my face turn into curious forms. You really have turned your garden into a sanctuary, what a peaceful place. We are also trying to make some current bushes to grow. One lives in hope. I am giving up on Gooseberries for our zone. The whole thing about just sticking a stick in the grown and it takes root is just borderline blasphemy - clearly a sign of envy on my part. I am considering moving zones for that reason alone. Onward.

KJ
Lynne-FtWorth said…
Yay! It sounds like you are having a lovely spring. It is already nearly 100 degrees here in North Texas. I have someone to do my yard this year as my husband did most of it and I am not able to get the string on the string trimmer. I have adopted a little yard cat named Alice. She has lots of trouble with her insides but she is as happy as a pig in slop as we say here.

I sou would have loved to take part in the Platinum Jubilee.

Deanna
Denise said…
Growing fruit and veg always seems a bit of trial and error, KJ, and also relies on a lot of instinct, too. I count myself very lucky to live where I do - we are right in the middle of farmland on good, if rather heavy, soil. And some years things do well and the next year they don’t. It’s a funny old game! Good luck with those blueberries. I shall send some energy vibes your way!

Deanna, how lovely to hear from you! Oooh, don’t talk to me about strimmers. I think they are one of the most irritating gardening implements ever. Never mind about that, though - what lovely news about your new cat chum, Alice. Excellent name! What sort of cat is she? Black and white? Tabby? Tortoiseshell? Long haired or short haired? I need to know these things!
Lynne-FtWorth said…
Alice is a tiny grey and white tabby that has lost her tail. We had to have it amputated this last spring. Wow! was that traumatic and expensive. Long story but I think she got hit by a car this last winter it messed up her tail and her insides as now she is incontinent and has to stay outside. I have lot of bushes and river cane that she lives in. She was a stray that had a brother named Ralph but he doesn't come around much anymore. There are a total of 10 stray cats that my next-door neighbor and I feed and take care of. I named her and her brother after the characters in the American 1950s TV show "The Honeymoonerw" Ralph and Alice Cramden.
Denise said…
Alice and the other stray cats are very lucky to have you and your neighbour looking out for them, Deanna. It’s little acts of kindness like this that make the world a better place. Bless you both! x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.