Skip to main content

Wet and Weedy

 His Lordship Malarkey’s birthday today. It is raining. Not a lot, but enough to stop him attaching the new rack and panniers kit I bought him to his bicycle. I said, ‘Bring the bicycle inside and attach them,’ and he said, ‘No, it’s all right, I’ll wait until the rain eases off and do it outside.’ I think this is because, once the panniers are attached, he reckons I’m going to send him off to Aldi to buy groceries. I’m not. I’m not one of those naggy wives who leave lists of jobs for their husband to do on their day off. 

He likes the panniers. They are capacious and I bought two because I didn’t want him to be all unbalanced  when out cycling. He said, ‘Plenty of room for my drawing equipment.’ Hmmmm. Plenty of room for Aldi groceries, I think he’ll find. 

I made a cake, of course. 


Chocolate with a chocolate fudge filling, covered in chocolate fudge icing with chocolate decorations. That’s what you want on your birthday. Overdose of chocolate. Diet begins tomorrow. Like they always do. 

I’m not fussed that it is raining today because yesterday I spent three hours gardening, which included mowing the grass, so I feel I gained a small victory over the weather. I also played with my new gardening toy, which is this…



A weed puller! Works a treat, especially on docks, dandelions and cow parsley. And tussocks of determined grass. Saves my hands, saves my knees. Of course, I shall never give up weeding on my hands and knees with a small hand fork because I like the frisson of danger it brings with it, in that you never know what might jump out of the undergrowth at you when you are in close quarters with aforesaid undergrowth. Insects, mice, toads, snakes….

Also, I feel an upright weeder adds to the green gym exercise equipment, for an all over body workout. 

Andy has attached tensile wire to the top, middle and bottom of the new bean pole/stake run. I just need to attach the strings up which the beans will climb. But I’m not going to do that today because it is raining. I have put the runner beans outside, though, to prepare them for outdoor living. And also ten of my thirty tomato plants, because I’m going to grow some tomatoes in the no dig bed this year. 

The swallows have started building a nest. In the absence of my dustpan and brush, they’ve chosen an old electric power switch and two dead cables as their base. So far the foundations consist of long bits of thin hay and a pebbledashing of mud. Sort of a shadowy outline of the main event. They are in and out of the laundry like mad things so I’ve taken to stooping when ever I go in there because I do not wish to be dinged in the head by a low flying bird travelling at high speed. 

Time for elevenses now. Birthday cake! 

Byeeeee!!!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday, Andy! Snakes!? Oh heck no! Not dealing with snake although we had a garden snake once. Good for keeping the mouse population down. The weed puller looks intriguing. Must look into that
KJ
Denise said…
Rest assured, KJ, that we have no snakes here. Mention of snakes was for dramatic effect only. You know me - such a drama queen!
Anonymous said…
Please wish Andy a very Happy Birthday from Chez Duck!
I love the cake. Is there any left?
Denise said…
Thank you, Mrs Duck, I shall. And of course there is cake left! I think even Himself and I would be hard pushed to demolish a cake like that in 24 hours! 😂

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.