Skip to main content

Sold!

 

Remember the pansies I sowed a couple of months ago, and when I pricked them out and potted them on there were 107 of them? Well - I’ve sold 30 of them, for the grand sum of £12.50! And whilst I’m not going to break into the ranks of the Top 500 Earners of the UK with this sale, there is something very satisfying about growing seeds into seedlings and actually making some money from them. £12.50, eh? I know - I shan’t spend it all at once! 

Of course, this little horticultural win makes me want to be a market gardener even more. Andy said to me the other day, ‘Do you need another greenhouse?’ ‘Yes, I do,’ said I. He’s already said he’s going to build me an open-sided potting shed, probably next to the compost bins, and underneath the sycamore tree. This will free up space in the greenhouse for more plants which is a good thing because this morning I sowed some peas to grow into pea shoots for salads and I actually stood there, pea tray in hand, wondering where the chuffing heck I was going to put it. 

I’ve embarked on sowing Spring Seeds for Summer Planting and Autumn/Winter Eating, you see. So, turnips, salad onions, red cabbage, Savoy cabbage, sorrel and squash. I’ve also set off more flowers: poached egg plants, cornflowers, sweet Williams - and herbs: coriander, basil and parsley. So that lot are all fighting for shelf space with the camomile, lobelia, dahlias, petunias, marigolds, emergency courgettes (ha!), succession sown lettuce, kale and a couple of teeny spider plants that fell off their mother plant during a brisk watering the other day. 

I’ve moved the borage, pansies and cucumbers outside. The tomatoes are well over 12 inches tall now and setting their first flowers. The chilli peppers are about 8 inches tall and probably need potting on into their final growing homes. If I wasn’t enjoying myself so much, I’d be feeling swamped and overwhelmed by all this growing stuff but I’m not, and I can continue to play musical plants around the garden because where there is a problem, there is ALWAYS a solution. 

Outside, the first peas are appearing, and the beans are either shooting up their strings or spreading across the ground depending on their type. The three courgettes have beaten slug attack. The transplanted leeks have finished playing dead and started to stand upright and proud. Carrot, parsnip, beetroot and salad leaves are all popping up nicely. I think we’ll do well on the fruit front this year, too, and I’m being very firm with myself and not touching the rhubarb (in its first year, so no picking until next year) even though the thought of a rhubarb crumble is VERY tempting. 

I know, I know…I’m showing off about the loveliness of my garden. But I’m so happy with how it’s developing this year, I can’t help but toot my little trumpet, just a bit. Parp! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Toot your trumpet big!! This sounds fantastic. All your hard (but fun!) work is paying off. A open sided potting shed; its now on my list for future endeavors!
KJ
Denise said…
I follow Caroline Quentin (British actress - I don’t know if you are familiar with her?) on Instagram and she has an amazing open sided potting shed!
Anonymous said…
Yes, I know her from Restoration Home. Now in search of an open sided potting shed
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.