Skip to main content

Moving Times

The bastard slugs have demolished one of my four courgette plants. Okay, so it was the smallest of the four I planted out last week, and the other three are holding their own and growing well with minimum evidence of leaf nibblage, but that’s NOT the point. Nor is the point that, even with three courgette plants, I shall still likely be over-run with the resulting fruits anyway. No, the point is is that I take a lot of time, care and effort sowing and nurturing my vegetable and flower plants for the benefit of me and my family NOT for the benefit of providing a drive-thru mollusc salad bar. What has happened isn’t the mere loss of a courgette plant. It is an act of slug-driven murder. 

Thus, in a fit of vengeful pique against the slugs, I have sown another four courgette seeds, more than doubling my potential courgette output. I’m such an idiot. But that’s NOT the POINT! 

Spent yesterday evening chatting to Heather and Ollie, and being updated on the latest progress in their ‘Great Life Change Move To Shropshire’ adventure. A storage facility has been booked to store all their belongings. An enormous van has been hired for three days to move all their belongings to the storage facility. Except the cat - the cat (Harris) is being stored with us on a temporary basis, unless he and Bambino form a bit of a bromance and declare never to be parted EVER again which may cause custody issues. Probably won’t, because cats are notorious for preferring solitary living, but you never know. Industrial size Feliway has been purchased to ease the introductions and we keep fingers crossed neither will develop stress-related urinary tract infections. Luckily, they have a personal physician available, just in case. 

Estate agents are being registered with in the continuing search for a rental property. The lease on their current house ends at the end of July. Jobs are being applied for, CVs updated and filed with various recruitment companies. Whatever happens in the next two months, Heather and Ollie WILL be moving up on the last day of July, even if they have to stay with us temporarily whilst they get themselves sorted. The only concern I have about this is that we are a one bathroom household and even with only two of us generally in situ, I sometimes have to do the wiggly wee dance whilst waiting for Andy to vacate the throne where he sometimes settles a little too long, watching something fascinating on his iPad. Too much information? 

Anyway, we are, if nothing else, resourceful. We have a large tent AND a chemical camping toilet which we can set up as an extra loo ‘n’ ablution facility if we really need to. Also, there are 31 trees in the garden and at least half of them are big enough for discrete man wee-wees. Soz - definitely too much info now. I shan’t tell you what Andy said about squatting over Vladimir, the Poo Tin…

What I find particularly exciting about all this (apart from having family once again at close quarters and that we’ve already made a date for Christmas dinner!) is listening to their excitement about taking this risk, about reviewing their lives and what they want to do, what they can see themselves doing, how they envisage their new life up here. They are being so proactive, so determined to make this work. It’s all very positive, inspiring and…well, great! 

And I look back at that time, six years ago, when Andy and I were about to embark on our own move up here, wondering if we had done the right thing, knowing there would be tears over missing our family and friends but recognising that, at the very centre of all the worries, fears and unknown quantities, was a deep sense of faith and excitement that we WERE doing the right thing and that everything WOULD be okay. 

And it has been okay! More than okay! We moved not only in physical terms, but in a deeper sense of personal growth, new experiences, giving ourselves back time and space to make our lives what we want them to be. If we’d stayed in Maidstone, there’s no way we’d be enjoying life as much as we are now. For me, it is the gift of time and space that has been the biggest benefit. Without being melodramatic, the move probably saved my life.

And I wouldn’t have had the space to even THINK about growing 7 courgette plants in my back garden, let alone actually doing it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.