Skip to main content

Grand Designs

 I thought you might like to see the swallows’ work-in-progress. It’s becoming an extreme sport going in and out of the laundry, because of having to dodge the swallow pair on their nest building mission, but I can’t not go in there because I need to use the washing machine, the freezer, get to the bird food, chicken food, rabbit paraphernalia…well, you know the form. Also, it is MY laundry, not theirs. They are merely renting for the summer and jolly lucky they are, too, what with their rent being free and all.

Anyway, this is Day Three in the Swallow House Build…

As you can see, they have taken as the base of their structure an old light switch and its two redundant feeder cables. The replacement feeder cable is just above them, installed by Ant the Roofer when he put in extra supporting beams for the new roof. I am guessing the swallows are starting at the bottom and building upwards, so their nest will encompass the portion of new beam just above it. Aaah, the scent of fresh wood wafting in their new abode. How lovely! 

I remember when my Dad decided we were going to move house about three or four days before Christmas in 1979. At that point we were living in a house called ‘Rockmead’ across the other side of the village whilst Dad completed the extension on our new house which was Number 5, which happened to be a cottage next to the first cottage I ever lived in, Number 4. My parents owned both Numbers 4 and 5 when they first married, living in Number 4 and renting out Number 5 to an elderly lady by the name of Mrs Lambkin. Mrs Lambkin had a dog called Nipper and she allowed us children to go into her kitchen and make jam tarts. 

Time passed, Mrs Lambkin left - I seem to remember the reason given was that she was becoming a bit of a danger to herself so she went into a care home - Number 4 was sold, we moved to ‘Rockmead’, and Dad, being a builder at the time, set about turning the two up, two down Number 5 into a five down, four up, and two more up in the loft space house. I remember being sent into the newly dug foundations to bail out rain water before building could commence. I remember climbing the scaffolding. I remember Mum being irked that Dad decided we should move in less than a week before Christmas. I remember being thrilled that, having a shared a bedroom for the first 14 years of my life, I was finally getting a room of my own! And this is why, when I smell fresh paint and new carpets, I always think of Christmas. Funny the things that imprint on your mind, eh? 

And here are these two swallows. They’ve flown thousands of miles back to the place of their birth, and they are building a new home for their babies. So wonderful! 





Comments

Anonymous said…
It is fascinating to watch them built their nest. You got prime seats! I am now wondering how your dad managed to convince your mum to move that close to Christmas I’m not sure I would have gone for it.
KJ
Denise said…
I am led to believe she didn’t have any choice in the matter, KJ. The more I think about my Dad, the more I understand him to have been a single minded and determined sort of person. Or stubborn and wilful. Probably where I got it from.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.