Skip to main content

Bean Poles, Barbecues and Birdies

 Our barbecue is currently out of action because a lady wren has decided it is the perfect place in which to build her nest. Snug, safe, dry - what more could she want? 


I didn’t want to lift the barbecue lid so you can see inside because I lifted it yesterday, just a smidge, to have a little peek, and Mrs Wren was ‘At Home’ as they used to say in Regency times. I don’t want to scare her away from her newly built nest and egg laying business because Andy had already accidentally cleared out her first nest when he went to cook some bacon a couple of weeks ago. If you peer closely, maybe enlarge the photo (if you have the technical nous to do so) you can see the edges of Mossy Nest Number Two poking out from the bottom of the tray. 

Question of the Week: why was it ever thought to be a good idea to grow runner beans up three bamboo canes in the shape of a teepee? 

Answer: I have no idea.

In my experience, training runner beans up a bamboo cane teepee might save on space and might look pretty, but it also a) makes finding the resulting beans problematic because they invariably dangle inside the teepee b) causes a veritable jungle of twisty foliage which leads to the annoying and irritating sport of Runner Bean Wrangling when it comes to removing the canes at the end of the season AND c) it provides an ideal hiding places for the bastard slugs. 

Therefore, runner beans this year chez moi will be grown in a long and organised line using a substantial structure of wooden stakes, tensile wire, and garden string. I remember getting the job of ‘stringing the bean poles’ on my grandparents’ market garden when I was a youngster. I’m sure I shall be able to recall the technique. 


Eight feet high garden stakes, six thereof, already installed along the current edge of the new no dig bed. I say ‘current edge’ because by the time I’ve finished with my cardboard and compost mission, the bean poles will find themselves in the centre of the no dig bed. It’s a work in progress. They will be a permanent fixture for beans immemorial.

You may also notice the blue hoops that are defending the peas from pigeon attack. I rescued the pipe - around 30 feet long or so - from the field where it has been sitting like a coiled blue snake ever since we moved here. I think that after almost six years of it remaining unclaimed by the farmer/ previous owners of Damson Cottage, I am able to claim ‘Finders Keepers’ rights over it, and so I have done so and turned it into supporting hoops for netting and fleece. Waste not, want not, eh? 

This morning, I noticed the wagtails have reappeared. They nest in the dividing hedge between us and our neighbours, using Andy’s car as a landing strip and look out post. They might be somewhat disgruntled to find that a pair of robins have got there first. Along with a gang of hooligan sparrows. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is a lot that can be learned from market gardeners on how to do things, infrastructure, efficiency or otherwise. I will NOT mention hog panels for support of anything sprawling. 😉
KJ
Denise said…
I had to look up what a hog panel was, KJ, as my immediate thought was that it was the USA equivalent to a British pig board. It’s not! And when I looked into how to make a hog panel, I thought I’m not going to tell His Lordship Malarkey because it sounds like an invitation to A & E. Too much cutting of tough steel! 😱😂
Anonymous said…
Lol!!!! No let’s avoid A&E all together. Or make your bed fit the panel, avoiding any cutting. Thank you for being a bright spot in my day!
KJ
Denise said…
Glad to be of bright spot service! x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.