Skip to main content

Oh, Well Bum, Poo and Bottom

You know how it is when you think you’ve got something sussed out? When there is a Plan in Place, and you know EXACTLY where you are heading in order to implement that plan because the vision is bright in your mind’s eye?  And just as you are bowling along quite happily because all the planets are in alignment and the omens bode well, bloomin’ OBSTACLES inveigle their way into your pathway, leaving little bits of annoying debris in their wake? 

I’m talking the Damson Cottage Vegetable Garden Project here. The project that started in earnest a couple of years ago with the purchase of a lovely greenhouse and wood planks enough to create eight substantial raised beds. 

Well, the greenhouse was very productive last year, as were two of the raised beds. In fact, I am still harvesting purple sprouting broccoli, parsnips and chard. A goodly start to The Grand Veg Project then. However, this year’s Grand Growing Plans were beginning to be scuppered because of the lack of compost to fill the remaining beds. Oh, they’re sort of heading towards being filled, what with various bits of garden waste being flung their way over the last year - grass clippings, leaf mould, bark chippings and the contents of our two and a half compost bins. But completely full? They are not. And this has irked me. 

So, this week I contacted some compost companies that deliver compost in bulk in order to secure some substantial piles of well rotted cow manure, spent mushroom compost, anything composty really, in order to fill the beds and be all systems go for full on veg growing 2022. And the constant resistance I met with was that these bulk deliveries arrive in dumpy bags on pallets on wheelie trolleys that are NOT to be used on gravel. And we have a gravel drive. Oh, the lorries would leave a pallet on the road, no problems, except we live on a twisty bendy countryside A road upon which people drive like lunatics, and leaving a pallet containing a dumpy bag full of a tonne of compost would NOT be a good idea. In fact, the words ‘foolhardy’ and ‘dangerous’ spring to mind. 

It looked like His Lordship Malarkey and I, then, would be doomed to purchasing multiple small bags of compost from local garden centres and transporting them in our small cars, which is a) uneconomical b) environmentally unfriendly AND c) time consuming. Sigh…

However, at the same time as this compost dĂ©bâcle was ratcheting up to an annoying level of irksomeness, I happened to be studying this…


…and suddenly the way out of this gardening conundrum was becoming clear! 

Because whilst I shall always be a little in love with Monty Don for all things gardening, Mr Charles Dowding and his no dig method has, inadvertently, solved my problem for me, and then some! 

Was it inadvertent though? Or have I been guided by forces unseen because I am a more ‘go with the flow’ girl now, who tries not to live too far into the future? Anyway, the way forward seems to be to dismantle the raised beds, mix all the accumulated composts together in one big heap and then, after applying a goodly layer of cardboard over the WHOLE allocated vegetable garden area, whack the compost on top and start again! The growing area will immediately double in size and I can plant everywhere immediately. It’s like a gardening magic wand has been waved for me. 

I posed this suggestion to Andy because ‘twas he, after all, who laboured to make the raised beds. And although there was the hint of a glint in his eye that suggested he thought I was barking mad, he said, ‘Whatever you want to do. And I’ll always find use for the bits of leftover wood.’ Which roughly translates, ‘I will build some structure for the garden and make you guess what it is.’ 

The greenhouse is filling up nicely with seedlings. In the next week or two I am sowing courgettes, beans, beetroot etc, so the race is on now to secure as much cardboard as I can and to set about amalgamating all the compost so I can mulch over cardboard bases to a level of 3-5 inches rather than try to fill raised beds to a level of a foot or more. This is all VERY exciting, which I understand that the non-gardeners amongst you will not appreciate. But humour me, dear reader. No dig gardening is proving to be a revelation.

Two members of the Much Malarkey crew, however, are still of the ‘dig’ persuasion of gardening. And they will be Edith and Sidney Bunny who have taken to excavating burrows in the grounds of their Palace. I might have to see if Mr Dowding will have a word with them…



Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the no-dog method! I was pondering if putting planks down or big plywood sheets would be sufficient for the trolley to move the bags to where it would be more convenient than a busy race track, read country road?
KJ
Anonymous said…
An Edith or a Sidney bunny has taken to excavating in one of my new potager beds. Given that they’re two sleepers high we reckon the only way it got there was to jump down onto it from the nearest terrace bed. And having made the effort it clearly decided to make the most of it and dug a diagonal downward tunnel over two feet deep! Took me ages to fill it back in, it’s not easy recovering ejected soil from the gravel that surrounds the raised bed. And then to prove it wasn’t a fluke bunny returned and re-excavated the hole the following night. So now the potager bed is full of what? Rocks. Heavy and sharply pointed rocks. Rocks that the builder may one day get round to using to finish the terrace walls and for now will hopefully keep the soil where it belongs. But no salad leaves and no herbs. No. Nothing is easy Chez Duck either..
Anonymous said…
Funny you should write, Mrs Duck, I was thinking you might have a solution up your sleeves, having followed your adventures for many years. I think I got to Denise’s corner via your blog
KJ
Denise said…
It’s a nice idea, KJ, but would involve us having to purchase large sheets of plywood and/or planks. And even then I wouldn’t want to risk a delivery turning up and then being taken away again because the driver was a bit of a jobsworth. It’s why I check first. Ironically, when we had log deliveries from a local supplier here when we first moved in, there was no problem. My next step is to try and track down local farmers who might be more pragmatic about delivery.

Mrs Duck, you would be surprised how high a bunny can jump when they want to! Andy the Vet says they can reach up to 6 feet when in excitable mode. I’m lucky we don’t have wild rabbits here - just two ‘contained’ ones. But then we do seem to be developing a burgeoning pheasant gang - Beau had 4 ladies with him last week!

KJ, Mrs Duck and I often share gardening chat ‘off the blog’ as it were. We vary in weather and terrain but the grumbles are usually shared! Of course, I have to tolerate her penchant for all things grey….sigh….
Anonymous said…
KJ, Lovely to know you read the blog. I may yet start it up again but this time on Instagram and/or Twitter. A lot less time consuming! Re bunny. Last night it struck again. Digging up plants now. Today will be sitting in the potager, coffee in hand, thinking caps on.

Denise, Not everything grey is lovely. Wild bunnies for example..
Denise said…
Mrs D, I think you’ll find wild bunny fur is a stunning mix of soft browns ranging from light sand to deep tawny, flecked with white and silver, with occasional wisps of grey and barely black. I know this because we’ve had a couple of dead wild bunnies at work this week, and yours truly was called upon to deal with them. I also had to extricate a dead goldfinch from one of the bird feeders. Don’t ask how it got stuck, it just did. Last year I had to fish a drowned squirrel from a water butt. Not part of my job description.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.