Skip to main content

Bits and Bobs and Bhajis

 I’ve made a few purchases this week, of little things that suddenly became needed. For example, a new litter picker. My old litter picker is dying a slow death and will now only close its pincers far enough to clamp around a tin can or bottle. No use for smaller items which means, on my litter ramble, I have to pick up small things and flat things with my hands, which is defeating the point of carrying a litter picker. I mean, I COULD wear gardening gloves but once you’ve experienced picking litter with a litter picker, you can never look back. It’s orange, my new litter picker. I thought it might make me more visible on the roads. I can shake it at drivers who pass too close. It is arriving tomorrow.

Also arriving tomorrow is a small rain gauge. It’s basically a pot demarcated in millimetres and with a handy loop attachment so I can fix it to a pole (not supplied). I want to measure rainfall, you see, so I can learn more about the weather at Damson Cottage. For gardening purposes, not for the sheer hell of measuring rainfall. I’m not THAT sad. Currently, I am using a jam jar. It is unsatisfactory. Luckily, there has been very little, if any, rain to measure in an unsatisfactory way.

On Saturday I am due to take possession of a set of four wide necked 975ml capacity Ball mason jars. These are specific in size because I have gadgets to attach to the jars, draining gadgets, which means I can start seed sprouting. I have a few packets of sprouting seeds ready for action and specifically for this purpose, and need to get cracking with this new facet to my healthy eating regime. I say ‘regime’ like it’s going to be some kind of communist imposition on my enjoyment of food. It won’t be - I like things like bean sprouts as I think they add a certain crunchy je ne sais quoi to salads and stir fries. Anyway, I’ve got a green draining gadget and a blue draining gadget and on Saturday I shall have jars to attach them to. 

At some point in the near future, date as yet unspecified by email notification although goods are in transit, I am expecting two 50 metre rolls of 35gsm horticultural fleece. I sourced this from a supplier in Scotland which has the most boring online shop EVER; however, the fleece was very good value for money - too good not to purchase, especially as Operation No Dig Garden is imminent and the peas are ready to plant out. 

Yesterday I took delivery of a head block for Pilates. Basically, it’s a rectangle of very solid foam-type stuff upon which you rest your head in order to align aforesaid head with one’s spine for the purpose of balanced muscle movement. Or something like that. It’s blue. My Pilates mat is pink, but I couldn’t find a pink head block so I went rogue and went for a complete contrast because that’s the kind of gal I am! I took the head block for a test drive yesterday afternoon, making sure first that Bambino was fast asleep because he can somewhat interfere in my Pilates sessions in a manner that suggests one day he will either suffer death by being squished, or I shall suffer injury by cat getting under my feet and upsetting my balance. 

Bambino woke IMMEDIATELY and interfered AT ONCE. He loomed in on me in what I thought was an unfairly oppressive manner. He also showed undue interest in my new head block, in the manner of ‘Oooh, a new scratching toy? For me? You shouldn’t have!’ Well, I didn’t. So I aborted my Pilates session and put the block on a high, cat safe shelf. I hope he’ll forget about it soon. If I’m being realistic, he won’t. 

Bambino has also decided to become official quality controller for my current scrap patchwork project. It’s reached unwieldy stage which means I have to spread it on the floor to ascertain progress and aid sewing. And when I do, this happens…


This is NOT helpful. I tell him this. I say, ‘Bambino Bobble Wilson, this is NOT helpful.’ He regards me with disdain and carries on. It’s hard work. 

Yesterday, I made some bhajis. I’m not a great fan of spicy food, what with not wanting to upset my delicate lady constitution, but Andy DOES love a curry, the hotter the better. Like eyeball sweating hot. Insane. Anyway, sometimes I make the effort and so I made these…


They contain onion, carrot, sweet potato, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, lime, chickpea flour and a chilli pepper, which, in a fit of what can only be described as spite, tried to spit in my eye. Hurrah for being a spectacle wearer, that’s all I can say. Anyway, they turned out okay and just about within my spicy food toleration. I shall make them again. 

That’s it for now. Bobbing along quite nicely. Here’s hoping you are bobbing along quite nicely, too. 




Comments

Anonymous said…
I also need a rain gauge. I use the bottom of the wheelbarrow as a rough and ready measure but that is also unsatisfactory. Especially when the builder tips it out before I have had a chance to ascertain overnight precipitation.
And I do love a bhaji. Oh yes.
I have bought a new propagator. A distress purchase which I could have done without, but needs must when the old one conks out in April. Now we shall indeed have melons. And edamame.. this year’s foray into the unknown. Along with goji berries.
Anonymous said…
Forgot again. Mrs Duck.
Denise said…
I guessed it was you, Mrs Duck, on account of the exotic plant nature of your comment! I am suspicious that my new rain gauge will immediately tempt Fate in the form of the Drought of 2022. 🙄

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.