Skip to main content

Sizzle In The Air

 ‘He’s a bit of a digger,’ said the rabbit breeder lady as she transferred Sidney into our pet carrier. Then, ‘Good luck!’ before cheerfully taking our cash, telling him to behave, and beating a hasty retreat through her gate.

A bit of a digger? What’s THAT supposed to mean? There was no mention of being ‘a bit of a digger’ on the website details. Behave? Why did she specifically tell him to behave? Why did she wish us luck??

Thus I woke a couple of times last night in a bit of a sweat borne of the tail end of my cold and nightmarish dreams that Sidney had decided he did not like his new home and had burrowed his way to freedom/ the wide open fields/the slavering jaws of a fox/badger/dragon. 

By 6.30 a.m I could bear the tension no more. With rabbit breakfasts x 2 in hand I ventured to the mini-orchard bracing myself for, well, I don’t know what really, just as long as it didn’t involve blood and entrails. Edith came boinging into view, all enthusiasm and ‘Hurrah! Breakfast! Gimme, gimme, gimme…’

So far, so good…

…and then, there was Sidney, not boinging but sitting low in the grass in what can only be described as a bit of a sulky attitude. There was no evidence of digging, unless he was concealing it with his low, sulky attitude, of course. 

‘Good morning, Sidney!’ said I, relieved he was still in his home and still intact. I opened his door and presented him with breakfast which caused him to immediately dash off in the opposite direction straight into the Eglu pod which is his temporary bedroom accommodation until he is declared a gonad-free zone. I set about the garden gathering them some greenery - broccoli leaves, chard, dandelion leaves, grass - to add to their breakfast and then placed this greenery side by side in their respective areas so they could eat close together. All part of the bonding process, you see. 

Edith was very up for this idea and immediately tucked in, looking very coquettish. She seems to have taken an immediate shine to Sidney. Sidney was a little more reticent. This could be because he hasn’t been given anything green before and, like all young boys, regards vegetables with suspicion. However, looking at his body language I rather suspect he is convinced he is living next door to a Mrs Robinson femme fatale and perhaps a better name for him might have been Benjamin - ‘Mrs Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?’ to quote ‘The Graduate.’ 

Anyway, I left them to their segregated breakfast á deux - Edith sizzling her lady hormones and Sidney wondering if the best way to handle this situation might be with a pair of very long tongs. 

Back in the kitchen and sipping tea, I was watching the garden birds piling onto the feeding stations when I noticed Mr and Mrs Duck in the field beyond. Well, I noticed their heads gliding along, disappearing every now and again. The grass is too long to view whole duck - periscope necks and heads is all the view we get of them at the moment. 

And then…what’s that? Another Mr Duck? Yes, it bloomin’ well was! That feisty minx, Mrs Duck, is keeping the company of TWO Mr Ducks. Well! I’ve never seen THAT before. I averted my eyes. All this sizzling so early in the morning. Phew! 

I’ll leave you with the final sizzle of the day - the view from our front door at six o’clock this evening. Spring is definitely in the air…



Comments

Anonymous said…
Oy, who are you calling a feisty minx?
I’m glad Grey Sidney is settling in. Sort of. When is his appointment with the humane castrator? And will same be baking a cake afterwards by way of celebration?
Anonymous said…
Glad Sydney is settling in. Always listen to the ‘in between liners’ they are often more telling than anything else. We were told that our new dog is “protective”. Well, he is a dog after all. We were in a parking lot and apparently a guy walked to close to the car, as one do in a parking lot, Docster gave a big woof and the guy literally jumped a foot and a half straight up and out of his skin.
KJ
Denise said…
A cake to celebrate castration…now there’s an odd thing. Edith is going to be spayed first because they can move in together sooner. Sidney would have to wait six weeks after a male castrate before he is considered ‘safe.’

I’ve seen Sidney digging, KJ - it’s more of a scrabble than a determined burrowing. But, as with dogs barking, rabbits dig.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.