Skip to main content

Patient Edith

 Here is Edith yesterday, in her oxygen tent, post op…


Her personal physician and surgeon, Dr A Hunt, took her in to be spayed (on his day off - greater love hath no man than this, that he surrendered his free time so that no baby bunnies may be created), and he made a jolly neat job of it. ‘I can be neat sometimes,’ he said in the post-op interview, conducted by Edith’s concerned bunny mummy, Mrs D Hunt. 

Rabbit anaesthetics can be fraught with various perils i.e rabbits can die easily whilst under them, and I did not know this until Andy explained the process about ten minutes before he set off with Edith in the cat carrier. And the fact that rabbit bowels are extremely sensitive and he had to avoid touching them as much as he could, which, given the size of a bunny and the close proximity of her lady bits to all other internal organs, is no mean feat. Even more so when the surgeon himself occasional refers to his operating digits as ‘sausage fingers.’ 

The operation itself takes about 25 minutes. The pre-op and post-op malarkey takes the whole process to around 4 hours. This includes two sessions in an oxygen tent. I went to work yesterday, then, feeling slightly on edge, even though I had used my early morning meditation to send Edith some healing and protection energy and I knew she would be okay. I also sent energy to Andy and his operating nurse that they might enjoy a smooth and trouble free process. Well, it pays to cover all bases, I think. 

Much relief, then, when I received a text and photo saying Edith was fine. I tried not to read too much into the addendum ‘for now’ at the end of the text, and continued my work day, enjoying the sunshine we’ve been having and thinking how lovely that Edith could now be joined in her Bunningham Palace by young Sidney. 

You may also like to know that Edith has a bunny onesie to wear to protect her wound. It is a sort of greeny turquoise in colour. It is still in its packet and I suspect there it will remain. Thus it was, then, that Edith was installed in the rabbit convalescent ward of our living room to make sure she stayed warm overnight. Anaesthetics can also make their body temperature drop suddenly. See what I mean about fraught with various perils?  

This morning, Andy and I were both up at 5.30 because neither of us had a great night of sleep because you don’t when a bunny that you’ve become rather fond of has had an operation. We’d spent the previous evening tempting her to eat with luscious morsels of apple, dandelion, parsley, kale and carrot but she was too spaced out to be interested. Andy ended up syringe feeding her some smooshed up rabbit pellets which looked a bit like Oliver Twist gruel. She also had more pain relief and something to help keep her delicate bunny bowels functioning. Andy syringe fed her again, and I chopped up some more apple in the shape of tiny baton sticks which Andy slid into her mouth and oh! the joy to hear her chomping away on them! She had some more pain relief and more bowel booster, and immediately she was more energetic and returned to her ward for a grooming session, a bit of straw chewing and rearranging, and to eyeball Bambino who had been keeping watch all this time with, I have to say, a bit of a concerned look on his face. Well, I like to interpret it as concern. 

As I write this, Edith is looking spaced out again. She is reminiscent of that scene in the second Bridget Jones film when the titular heroine has accidentally partaken of a magic mushroom omelette and is lying on the sand making sand angels whilst that cad Daniel Cleaver is calling ‘Bridget Jones’ to her in what she hears as an echoey voice because of her drugged up state of mind. (N.B Edith is NOT making sand angels. But I bet if she was on a sandy beach in Thailand, she would be.)

The day looks set to be another corker, with clear blue skies and sunshine. It’s just before 7 a.m and there is a light frost, so we shall wait a couple more hours for that to disappear and the air to warm before we take Edith outside, back to her home and the adoration of Sidney. 

And then Andy is off to collect to his new bicycle…


Comments

Anonymous said…
Good to hear she is on her way to recovery! There is a story and a future story in your last comment about Andy and a new bike I suspect?
KJ
Denise said…
Edith has been enjoying the sunshine this afternoon, and Sidney has been keeping her company from his side of the fence. And yes, there is a story re: Andy + bicycles = not necessarily a great combination. 🙄

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.