Skip to main content

All the Seeds!

 The greenhouse staging is filling up nicely with seeds trays after yesterday’s seedfest planting effort on my part. Determined to grow more flowers for the garden this year, I’ve started off : pansies, cornflowers, cosmos, nasturtiums, evening primroses and some sunflowers, courtesy of a packet Heather sent me in a birthday card. I have also, optimistically, sown some of the seeds I collected when this plant threw out a couple of flower spikes last year…


It’s called Haworthia Limifolia, or (more charmingly) Fairies’ Washboard. According to all the books it grows to around 4 inches in diameter and is therefore ‘perfect for window ledges and desks.’ This one, however, is already 6.5 inches in diameter. It clearly likes where it lives, which is on the bathroom window ledge, and how I’ve been treating it, which is giving it a light shower once every six weeks or so. Anyway, in the spirit of optimism and my tendency towards no-faff, mildly slapdash gardening approaches, I’ve popped ten seeds into small pots and left them in the greenhouse to see what happens. Very much “Oh well, you know, fingers crossed, c’est la vie if nothing happens.’ Inadvertently, though, my instinctive choice of greenhouse over propagator appears to be correct because the seeds require rollercoaster temperatures to kick start them i.e hot during day, cold overnight which is what March is currently delivering! 

On to the propagator then…

We’ve owned ours for upwards of twelve years now and it’s always with a frisson of tension that it is plugged in each Spring to see if it still works, or has expired because it is stored very badly during Winter i.e chucked into the shed. As demonstrated by the condensation this morning, it is very much still working…


Fret ye not, I have opened the ventilators in the cover! Inside are : basil, chives, cherry tomatoes, my favourite standard tomato of ALL TIME which is ‘Tigerella’ and some red hot chilli peppers (not the band). The propagator is situated in the kitchen on the small piece of work surface between the Aga and the wall. It’s just big enough and gets light from the smallest of the kitchen windows. It’s the window Bambino likes to sit in to watch the goings on in the courtyard. He’s going to have a bit of an obstacle course reaching the window now. As long as he doesn’t decide to use the propagator as a spring board and kick the whole lot off the worktop, we shall be okay. Oh goodness, I wish I hadn’t written that now. Talk about tempting fate. 

By mid-afternoon, then, I was happily settling down to watch one of my favourite films - ‘This Beautiful Fantastic’ which was showing on BBC2, therefore no commercial breaks which are a sure fire way to ruin any film. It is also an hour and a half long, which, in my humble opinion, is the perfect length for a film.


The film stars Jessica Brown Findlay (fans of ‘Downton Abbey’ will know her as the ill-fated Lady Sybil Crawley) and Tom Wilkinson (who has been in many fine British films including ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’). I love this film because it combines being a writer with gardening with cooking with being slightly odd and on the periphery of society. It is a very gentle film with no violence, no coarse language, and plenty of gentle humour. It has a tinged with optimistic sadness but happily ever after ending which never fails to inspire and lift my spirits. It is a film of the magic and wonderment we can find in every day life. Of the beautiful and the fantastic. 

And then, because I’d planted lots of seeds in the morning it was necessary for me to finish the afternoon by placing another seed order to replenish my seed packet storage box. Well, I had a 20% off voucher code. It would have been rude not to.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like a must watch movie. Thanks for making me aware of it.
KJ
Denise said…
I love it, KJ. It’s a feel good film and I hope you get to see and enjoy it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.