Skip to main content

Changes

 

The laundry is finally getting a new roof! It was the only thing mentioned on the surveyor’s report when we bought Damson Cottage, something along the lines of ‘Flat roofs are prone to deterioration and current issues would benefit from addressing.’ Well, it lasted another five years, just about, but the woodshed was becoming a mini-Amazon swamp and the laundry section was starting to make ominous dripping noises, too, so in January I secured the services of Roofer Extraordinaire Ant (that’s his name - he isn’t an actual ant) and he arrived on Wednesday to work his magic. 

He’s a genuine sort, originating from Canvey Island in Essex, which is the neighbour to my birth county of Kent. It’s nice to have a chat with someone else from ‘dahn sarf’ without the usual comment of ‘You’re not from round these parts, are you?’ He calls me “darlin” a lot, and says things like, ‘This’ll be a mint job” and he is true to his word, because it looks amazing - solid, neat and worth the expense. He finishes tomorrow - job done, darlin’!

The woodshed has already dried up. I made the mistake of standing in there for too long on Tuesday (because I am thinking it will be the perfect place to grow mushrooms) when it was still in its soggy state, and was duly bitten by some rabid vampire bastard of a mosquito who clearly hadn’t eaten all Winter. Who the chuff gets bitten by a mosquito in chuffing February? Me, that’s who. Bloody hell, it hurts. There’s a massive lump on the side of my neck which is very sore, plus 5 other smaller bites arranged around my shoulder. Just waiting for gangrene to set in and my arm to fall off. 

We applied to the RSPCA to adopt a rabbit friend for Edith. We want another lady rabbit, they want us to have a male rabbit. We have decided we are not going to be dictated to by the RSPCA about rabbits (although we, the vet and the vegetarian, are very grateful they even agreed we could be potential bunny parents) so we are continuing our bunny searches elsewhere. 

The fig tree has still to arrive. Email appeared this morning advising a new delivery date of 10th March. I suppose this is just as well as the awaiting hole is currently full of water through the combination of being in clay soil + the effects of Storms Dudley, Eunice and Franklin. 

And then sad news. Andy’s Dad died, somewhat unexpectedly, last night. Andy managed to see him in hospital yesterday afternoon and I spoke briefly to him on the phone. He sounded breathless and weary with life, but now he is off on his spirit journey to be with his much missed wife. No more worries, and reminding the rest of us that, when all is said and done, very few things in this life matter. 

My abiding memory of him is when he came to visit Andy and I in Maidstone and we took him for dinner at Café Rouge. He spent some considerable time chatting up our waitress in French until she informed him she was, in fact, Polish. 

‘Oh yes,’ he said, without skipping a beat. ‘And which part of Poland are you from?’ 

After dinner, we offered to walk back to the hotel with him. 

‘It’s okay,’ he said. ‘I’ve found a nice little pub. Think I’ll pop back there for a night cap.’

I was appalled to find out the ‘nice little pub’ he’d found was none other than the biggest dive in Maidstone at the time - The Druid’s Arms’. I can only guess that the barmaids there were particularly attractive. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
My condolences. Im sorry for your loss.
KJ
Denise said…
Thank you, KJ. x
Anonymous said…
I’m so sorry to hear about Andy’s dad. Love to you both,
Mrs Duck xx
Denise said…
Thanks, Mrs D x

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.