Skip to main content

Windy Squirrels

 I packed Christmas away today. Having spent a rainy day yesterday making a jigsaw puzzle (the second I received for Christmas) I was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic with all the decorations. Besides, they’d been up for 3 weeks and that is quite enough, I think. I did leave the fairy lights on the stairs and landing, though, as they add a magical quality to the still dark Winter evenings. Now everything is neat and tidy again - and the sunshine even made a rare and welcome visit, breaking through the clouds and drizzle that have been order of the weather for a week now. 

At lunch time, whilst I was waiting for some mushrooms to cook to go on toast, I was entertained by a squirrel who was determined, despite the high winds, to have its fill of sunflower seeds from one of the bird feeders! We have two squirrels in the garden. This is the chubby one, and there is some speculation that her chubbiness may be down a pregnancy. Anyway, 10/10 to her for determination and gripping skill. She clung on for 15 minutes before dismounting and then returning for seconds. 

After giving the kitchen cupboards a bit of a tidy out, I settled down to a spot of reading and a spot of thinking about what 2022 will hold. Past experience has taught me that it doesn’t pay to make too many plans; I looked back at my diary for the start of 2020 which was so full of ideas, plans and optimism for the year ahead that when coronavirus struck, well, they all fell flat. But I did allow my imagination to wander, just for the sheer fun of it. So:

1) I could learn a new language. Although I don’t travel abroad, and have no intention of visiting any of the countries where I could test my new language skills (I have narrowed my options to three) I believe learning a new language to be very good for developing new neural pathways in the brain, and that is a good thing! 

2) possibly have a go at Veganuary. Eating vegan in January. See what they did there?? More and more of my meals are vegan, now, but oh, the eggs! I love eggs! And milk in my tea. I tried oat milk in tea and it was vile. Maybe I could do 85% Veganuary? Would that be allowed? Well, in MY world it would be, but as you are aware, I am a troublemaker. Also, from re-reading my 2020 diary I was reminded that I am a ‘grumpy cow.’ Someone else’s observations, not mine. I, personally, think I’m a pretty cheerful cow…

3) try a new arty crafty skill. I definitely need to complete the patchwork quilt I started earlier this year, but I also think having a go at something different might be fun. Pyrography, maybe. Or pottery. There’s a new series of ‘The Great Pottery Throw down’ starting this Sunday coming, so that will provide some inspiration. I am also planning to make my own greetings cards. 

I have a few other bits on my list, but I’m keeping those to myself for the time being. It was nice to think about what could be, all being well in the world.

Leaving you with Cordelia Mouse, a gift from Heather. She (Cordelia, not Heather) came from a stall at the Christmas Fair we visited at Blenheim Palace at the end of November. I was very good at pretending I had forgotten she had been bought! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.