Skip to main content

The Uncrackable Nut That Is Miggins

 


By process of elimination, Mrs Miggins knows that the time has come for her to face the  interrogation of Inspector Spectre. She wonders, briefly, if it would easier if she confesses to the killing of Father Christmas herself. She could be a Christmas Day martyr to the cause. Maybe, in years to come, someone would erect a statue to her in the grounds of Much Malarkey Manor. Something tasteful, yet striking. Something along the lines of Brittania – the fine figure of Mrs Miggins, draped in flowing bathrobe with a deerstalker on her head, a toasting fork in one wing, dustbin lid in the other, flanked by an armadillo. Yes, she can see it now – a magnificent tribute to her heroic sacrifice!

But no – she is an honest hen and is not in need of public recognition. If she has done something wrong she will always admit it and apologise. This murder most horrid is nothing to do with her. Yet she has been giving it considerable thought, and the more she thinks about it, it wasn’t really the fault of Lady Malarkey either. Okay, yes she did throw the gnome but for what cause? For the defence of the Manor against sinister intruder, that’s what. Her Ladyship was defending her home and the safety of all those therein. It really was that simple. Unfortunate, but simple. A bit like Tango Pete.

Inspector Spectre, sensing the end of his investigations, turns to Mrs Miggins.

‘Would you be kind enough to explain your relationship to this man?’ he says, presenting the photograph to her.

Mrs Miggins studies the photograph.

‘None whatsoever’ she says, dismissively. ‘And if anyone dares say otherwise, it’s lies, all damned lies. Yes, we met briefly at the motorway services in Sandbach, and he tried to chat me up in the Costa Coffee with promise of a cappuccino and raisin flapjack but I said, ‘No Boris, no. You’ve got too much of a history and I have my reputation to think about. You might be a hit with the laydeez, mate, but I have taste, morals and, also - I don’t like coffee!’ And I walked away with my head held high. I think I heard him let out a sob of despair as I left. Last I heard he’d hooked up with a bird called Carrie…’

Inspector Spectre snatches back the photograph.

‘I can forgive your having a photo of John Barrowman upon your person,’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘I mean, who doesn’t love a bit of Barrowman, as long as he keeps his todger in his pants. But Boris Johnson? Bit weird, even for you.’ 

‘Can we get back to my question?’ says Inspector Spectre, shoving the photo back in his pocket and thrusting the Father Christmas one at Mrs Miggins. ‘This man – what is your relationship to THIS man?’

Mrs Miggins shrugs.

‘He used to deliver presents at Christmas when I was a chick until I realised I was a bit too old for all that. Around 43 years too old, if I remember rightly. Saw him a few times in his grotto at the shopping centre, too. And in a pantomime. He threw sweets into the audience. Concussed a small boy with a Twix.’

‘Did you believe in him?’ says Inspector.

‘Yes,’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘If I can see it, I believe it. Generally. Sometimes I see things I don’t approve of, or like, but it doesn’t mean they don’t exist. I’m quite the realist.’

Inspector Spectre Is feeling uncomfortable. Mrs Miggins is unflappable. She isn’t going to be an easy nut to crack.

‘Did he ever leave you disappointed with the presents he left behind on Christmas Eve?’ says Inspector Spectre.

‘No,’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘I am a hen of simple tastes, and I am grateful for whatever I am given.’

‘Did he ever frighten you?’ says  Inspector Spectre.

‘No,’ says Mrs Miggins.

‘Was he ever rude to you? Did you ever doubt the magic of his being?’ says an increasingly desperate-sounding Inspector Spectre.

‘No, and no,’ says the ever honest Mrs Miggins.

In a last attempt to break his final victim, I mean, suspect, Inspector Spectre employs his pointy finger once more.

‘I put it to you, Mrs Laetitia Miggins, that you threw a garden gnome at Father Christmas and killed him!’

And suddenly, the dining room swings open with a loud and decisive BANG!

‘No-one murdered me!’ booms a voice of deep and resonant tones, not dissimilar to Brian Blessed. ‘Father Christmas is alive!!!’

(I know! It surprised The Author, too. She is now feeling the urge to go and watch ‘Flash Gordon.’)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.