Skip to main content

The Inbetweeny Lull

 All done for another year, then? All that Christmas malarkey. How was yours? Ours was a quiet, calm and  gentle one. We scaled back a bit this year and the day was fine. Happy chats with the family over FaceTime, a nice bit of food (duck for Andy, nut roast for me), and then the Queen’s speech to kick off a TV/reading afternoon/ evening. 

Best Christmas TV special programmes this year were, in no particular order: 

1) The Repair Shop

2) Shaun the Sheep

3) Whitehouse and Mortimer Go Fishing

4) Ghosts

5) Call The Midwife

All gentle and inoffensive viewing. The kind of TV that makes you go ‘Aaaah’ and raises a smile, and makes you feel all warm and happy inside. None of it interrupted by adverts, either, which is a big plus for me. I am feeling ever more discombobulated by TV that is interrupted by adverts. I can feel it messing with my concentration abilities, putting me on edge. I try to avoid advert TV as much as possible.

Yesterday, I made a jigsaw puzzle that Andy gave me. He designed it himself and had it manufactured. He was worried there was too much white in it that would drive me insane to make, but it didn’t. This is it…


Another present that I was very taken with is this, from my granddaughters…

Firstly, it is immediately very precious because it is a present from my granddaughters. Secondly, it made me smile big smiles when I unwrapped it because it is so pink and squishy and is wearing a tutu.  I have called her Oona, because I had been watching ‘Bridget Jones’ Diary’ a couple of days beforehand, and there is a line in the film that makes me laugh, for some strange reason, and that is, ‘Oona, the gravy needs sieving!’ Oona, I decided, is an excellent name for a sock monkey. 

Now, if I was VERY strange, I might set up an Instagram account for Oona and I might photograph her on her travels avec moi. I might start making her a range of outfits for different occasions. I might start writing a series of stories about her. I might make little videos of her adventures - ‘Oona, the Mystic Monkey’. I might. But am I strange? I don’t know. 

I am, though, a troublemaker. Apparently. I wasn’t quite sure how to take this description when it was directed at my person on Christmas Eve, mostly because it has negative connotations. The comment came on the back of someone parking a small truck across our driveway and making me feel immediately like I wanted to get in my car and go out, even though I had nowhere to go and was happy to stay at home. Perhaps it was a primal response to being blocked in - a sort of territorial thing? Seriously, there are about half a dozen houses on our road which extends about 3 miles. Why park across someone’s driveway? Anyway, troublemaker I was called. I responded that actually, I am a creative free spirit and independent thinker, which was odd because I’d never really thought of myself in those terms before, either. The words just popped out to defend me against accusations of troublemaking. This happens sometimes and when it happens I know my spirit companions have my back, and that is a good feeling! Troublemaker indeed. Pah!

Edith the Rabbit is doing very well, I am pleased to report. Her yucky eye is almost clear of its yuckiness and it looks like the injury she sustained which caused the yuckiness will cause no lasting damage. She is happily bobbing around in her run, surveying her domain from atop a log, eating all sorts of stuff, twitching her nose, ears perky, just being a fine and dandy rabbit. Of course, if we keep her we shall have to get her a rabbit companion, because rabbits are not solitary creatures. The chickens, especially Tootsie, are curious of her, and will stand by her run and share the time of day so she has chicken company for the time being at least.

I have to sign off now. Oona wants her lunch. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
You also defended Bambino against an accusation of troublemaking. Which given that he regularly tries to kill you on the stairs, suggests that he has something on you.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.