Skip to main content

Solstice Cockle Pie Alibi

 


Inspector Spectre is rather chuffed he has now identified two suspects for the murder of Father Christmas. This gig is going way better than he expected, even though he has yet to wangle a free drink out of it. Mrs Poo and Mrs Slocombe are sitting at the dining-room table looking very miserable and wondering how they can cause a distraction and make their escape. Ptolemy Pheasant, in fact, is already edging his way doorwards. He has no idea why he is here. He only came for the Christmas Party after all.

‘Mr Pheasant!’ says Inspector Spectre. ‘You’re not leaving us, are you?’

‘Not at all,’ says Ptolemy, edging his way back into the room. ‘I was just admiring the architrave around the edge of the door. In the style of ogee, I believe, or is it torus? It’s difficult to tell sometimes…’

And he adopts the stance of an absorbed individual pondering with fascination the intricacies of period architectural features.

‘It’s Wickes,’ says Mrs Miggins. ‘We had it redone during the summer. Because of the woodworm.’

‘Ah,’ says Ptolemy, nodding sagely.

Inspector Spectre coughs. ‘Let’s get on, shall we Mr Pheasant? I should like to ask you a few questions vis a vis the death of Father Christmas.’

‘Ah well, you see that would be a bit of a waste of your time,’ says Ptolemy, looking immediately shifty in the way only pheasants can manage to achieve.

‘And why would that be?’ says Inspector Spectre, flipping over to a fresh page in his notebook, having written absolutely nothing on the previous page aside from ‘Mrs Slocombe might have done it.’

‘Well, I’m more of a Winter Solstice kind of bird,’ says Ptolemy. ‘I’m not much of a one for believing in all this Christmas stuff. In fact, I’m only here because of the cockle pies…’

‘And to see your beloved,’ chips in Mrs Pumphrey, batting her eyelashes coquettishly and giving his wattles a coy tickle.

‘Of course,’ says Ptolemy, wishing that Tango Pete was around to lighten the load of Mrs Pumphrey’s ardent and persistent attentions.

‘The Winter Solstice, eh?’ says Inspector Spectre. ‘I’ve heard of it but I’m not wholly au fait with it. Would you care to elucidate? It might help eliminate you from my investigations.’

(Those of you au fait with the plot of ‘An Inspector Calls’ will realise I am basing Ptolemy’s role very loosely on the character of Eric, the flighty, drunken, immoral son of the Birlings. The Author always thought Eric had an element of pheasant about him, what with all his comings and goings, skittishness and wildly raucous proclamations…)

Ptolemy Pheasant assesses the situation and realises even he can’t make a frantic run for it, and if you’ve ever seen a pheasant make a frantic run you know that sometimes they manage it with great aplomb and sometimes they get hit by a car. Ptolemy’s risk assessment is erring on the side of ‘hit by a car.’ He decides to give a shot at brazening it out.

‘I’m a creature of the wild,’ he says. ‘Not like these delightful but domesticated ladies,’ and he offers a bow to each of the assembled hens. ‘So at this time of year, I like to celebrate the season with the old and wild ways…’

‘…like clubbing in the ‘70s?’ says Inspector Spectre.

‘No, like in the ways of Nature,’ says Ptolemy.

‘Pity,’ says Inspector Spectre, who is rather partial to rocking his boat and shaking his booty in his hot pants under a glitterball.

Ptolemy continues. ‘Yes, I am very much attuned to the ways of the Nature. I live with the Seasons, work with the Moon…quite often I am at one with the vibrations of the soil…’

‘That’ll be when he’s digging for worms,’ whispers Mrs Pumphrey.

‘So you don’t have much to do with Christmas, then?’ says Inspector Spectre. ‘You don’t participate in the festivities of the 25th December?’

‘Oh well, sometimes I do,’ says Ptolemy. ‘You know, to be sociable with my friends. But I much prefer to commune with the Green Man on 21st December, at the time of the Winter Solstice.’

(If you are interested, the Winter Solstice happens this year at 3.58 p.m on Tuesday 21st December. After that, the hours of daylight will be growing longer once more. My Mum will be pleased. She won’t have to close her curtains so early.)

‘And what exactly,’ continues Inspector Spectre who has just noticed a speck of something on his spectacles, ‘ does your Winter Solstice celebration involve?’

‘Well,’ says Ptolemy, believing himself to be on the home run towards freedom, ‘I pop off into the woods near to where I live…’

‘Which is where, exactly?’ says Inspector Spectre.

‘Just beyond the grounds of the Manor,’ says Ptolemy.

Inspector Spectre makes a note. ‘Carry on,’ he says.

‘…and I build myself a little fire, toast some nuts, have a drink of hot chocolate, play my banjo and thank Nature for the bounty of the year.’

‘Would that be a traditional coconut Bounty?’ says Inspector Spectre, scribbling frantically in his notebook. Not important detective notes, I’m afraid – rather a list of ‘Things To Do In 2022.’

Ptolemy frowns. ‘No,’ he says, refraining from adding the words ‘you idiot’. ‘The fruitful bounty of Nature’s harvest that will see us safely through the cold, harsh Winter. And I think with gratitude about the lengthening hours of daylight and the return of the warmth of the sun, although that can be a bit optimistic given the state of global climate change. But it’s always worth a wish and prayer of thanks.’

Inspector Spectre looks up from his scribblings. He has just added ‘Learn Mandarin’ and ‘Buy a Hoola-Hoop’ to his list.

‘Is this an activity you conduct on your own?’ he says, waggling his pencil in an accusatory manner. ‘This hanging around in the woodland undergrowth malarkey?’

Ptolemy nods. ‘Usually. Sometimes I am joined by a fellow pheasant or two, but mostly I prefer to be on my own.’

‘And why is that, Mr Ptolemy Pheasant?’ says Inspector Spectre. ‘Is it because there would be no witnesses to your nefarious activities? Is it because no one would see you approaching the Manor under cover of woodland foliage and with a stack of cockle pies as an alibi, in order to cover up the your part in the heinous crime of murdering Father Christmas?’

‘I would have been three days too early!’ protests Ptolemy Pheasant, his voice gearing up to full on pheasant screech mode.

‘Time doesn’t matter in this case!’ shouts Inspector Spectre.

‘Why not?’ shouts Mrs Miggins.

‘Because I’m in charge and I say so!’ shouts Inspector Spectre, sounding a teensy bit like Kenneth the Phantomime. ‘Therefore, Ptolemy Pheasant, I put it to you and all here present that YOU killed Father Christmas!’

Well! What an almighty ruckus and to-do that accusation ignites! The Author is actually quite glad she isn’t there. Ear muffs or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.