Skip to main content

Operation 'Let's Do This Thing!'


 

Operation ‘Finish the Job and Let’s Go Home’ commences. After numerous calculations, Bambino has worked out that there are 26.9% of the population yet to be visited by Father Christmas and there are two hours and three minutes remaining to do the visiting if Father Christmas is to keep his promise to Mrs Christmas and arrive home on time. Oh, and to avoid the huge wail of disappointment that will resound around certain part of the world as dawn breaks.

‘There are nine of us in total, so if we spread out and each take a specified region, we can have this gig wrapped in less than an hour and a half,’ says Bambino.

‘Woah, hang on a minute,’ says Mrs Pumphrey. ‘You want us all to split up and do deliveries on our own?’

‘Yes,’ says Bambino. ‘It seems a sensible use of the people power and time we have available to us. If you have a look at this time and motion graph I’ve drawn up then…’

‘I can’t do THAT!’ says Mrs Pumphrey, who has anxiety issues and is easily sent into a tailspin of panic. ‘I can’t find my way into our local village and back without getting lost.’

‘I’ve not got a great sense of direction either,’ says Ptolemy Pheasant. ‘They don’t call me ‘Zig-zag Scatterbrain’ for nothing, you know. Perhaps Mrs Pumphrey and I could double up and keep each other safe?’

‘Well, if they are pairing up, then I want to pair up with someone, too,’ says Mrs Slocombe. ‘But not with HIM,’ she adds, pointing at Kenneth the Phantomime, who is busy adjusting his wedgie.

And so the kerfuffle grows, very quickly and very noisily, as everyone seems to nay-say Bambino’s plan before it’s even been given a fair go.

‘Ladies and gentlemen!’ says Father Christmas, once more employing his booming voice to good effect. The fracas falls silent. ‘Really, there is no need to panic. If you allow my clever feline friend to finish outlining his plan, you will realise there is nothing to fear at all.’

‘Thank you, Da Big FC,’ says Bambino. ‘Please don’t worry, everyone – no-one is going to get lost. I have more scientifically proven magic up my sleeve.’

He has us all stand in a row and gives us each a little Christmas stocking to hold. Father Christmas distributes the remaining contents of his present sack amongst the stockings. Bambino then gives us each a red button gadget. He then calls forth the reindeer who have been unhitched from the sleigh harnesses by Father Christmas.

‘Think of the next part as a merry-go-round ride,’ says Bambino. ‘Just hop on your reindeer, hang on tight and let them do the work. I’ll programme the co-ordinates of the area you are each going to cover into their reins and off you’ll go. All you need to do, each time your reindeer stops, is to thrown the stocking down the chimney, press the red button gadget and hang on tight because in 3.2 seconds you will be taking off for the next stop!’

‘So simple, yet so effective!’ says Father Christmas, clapping his hands together and making a still edgy Mrs Pumphrey jump out of her feathers.

‘I’m not very good at hanging on tight,’ says Kenneth the Phantomime. ‘I have very flimsy wrists. What if I fall off and get eaten by a crocodile in a swamp?’

Father Christmas and Bambino go into another huddle. They emerge with a solution.

‘These are my emergency thermal sleep cocoons,’ says Father Christmas, pulling a selection of large sleeping bags from the boot of his sleigh. ‘Just in case the reindeer get cold. They’re a bit big – designed for reindeer, you know, including legs and antlers, but I am sure they will do to keep each of you safely on aboard your reindeer. We can strap the cocoons on tightly and pop you all inside!’

So that is exactly what happens! Soon we are all sitting safely and snugly in the thermal sleeping cocoons, gripping our stockings and red button gadgets and bracing ourselves for the off.

‘I think you will all be back here within three quarters of an hour to an hour and five minutes at the most,’ says Bambino, as he runs from reindeer to reindeer, carefully tapping travel co-ordinates into their reins. And then, before anyone can come up with any more excuses as to why this might be a terrible idea, he slaps each reindeer on the rump and we all fly up into the sky and off in different directions.

Father Christmas climbs into his sleigh ready to set it in independent hover mode so he can contribute to the last few deliveries.

‘Well, that was a marvellous idea,’ he says, as Bambino enters the final set of co-ordinates. ‘What could possibly go wrong?’

‘Any number of things,’ mutters Bambino, before climbing onto the last reindeer and setting off himself.

Just over an hour later, by my watch anyway which really doesn’t know now if it is coming or going, we are all returned safely to our starting point by the wishing well in the very centre of England. We all have exciting tales to tell about the things we have seen and heard and the excitement is palpable as we chatter and try to outdo each other with the sheer magnificence and daring of our individual, and quite heroic journeys. (The Author would elucidate further but really cannot be arsed. Make up your own fun adventures, why don’t you?)

But what we are all agreed upon is that we are pleased to be able to make things up to Father Christmas by helping him to finish his delivery round. We all cheer when Bambino holds up the map and ticks off the remaining areas with his luminous green highlighter pen.

‘Let’s have a bit of a rest,’ says Father Christmas. ‘I think we deserve it.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.