Skip to main content

Mrs Slocombe’s Easy Peasy Save the Eggs Vegan Ginger Loaf Cake Recipe of the Week

 Mrs Slocombe is in da house today. The blog is thusly in her capable wings…

‘Good morning, lovely people who, like me, are partial to a bit of cake! Cake is a VERY important factor in ensuring good gravity by helping to create the essential ‘base triangle ratio’ which, in chicken world, is taught in all the best chicken education facilities and should, in my opinion, be taught to all living things. The ancient Egyptians knew all about the importance of bottoms being wider than tops in order to stay properly grounded on the Earth, which is why you’ll NEVER see pyramids floating around in space. Fact. 

Anyway, since we’ve been called back from holiday to take over the emergency running of this blog, I’ve been rootling through the various scraps of paper upon which Lady Malarkey has scribbled down random recipes that have taken her fancy over the past few months but which have yet to be tested. And this easy-peasy cake recipe is the perfect addition to your Base Triangle Ratio Recipe Collection. Not only that, is it full of ginger which will keep the germs at bay, pep up your pecker and give a shiny gloss to your feathers. 

You’ll need two bowls and a loaf tin. 

Ingredients :

275g self raising flour

150g muscovado sugar (I didn’t have any of that so used dark brown sugar)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon ground ginger (sounds a lot, but really isn’t)

100 ml vegetable oil

170 ml cold water

50g treacle

50 g of root ginger, peeled and grated, and with any stringy bits removed

1) Mix all the dry ingredients together in Bowl 1 (flour, baking powder, sugar, ground ginger)

2) Mix all wet ingredients together in Bowl 2 (oil, water, treacle and root ginger)

3) Tip Bowl 2 (wet) into Bowl 1(dry) and whizz together with an electric whisk until smooth.

4) Pour mixture into a lined loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes (ish) at 180 C until well risen and firm to the touch. Leave in tin to cool, then remove and eat a bit whilst it is still warm! 

It’s the closest recipe I’ve found to the Jamaican ginger cake you can buy in the shops, so why buy it when you can make it yourself? Bloomin’ amazing. You can also spoil its veganicity by sloshing it in cream for a nice pudding. 

Go on. You know you want to, if not for the Base Triangle Ratio health benefits but because it’s a yummy cake hug for the darker, colder days ahead…


N.B No eggs were harmed in the making of this recipe, which, from a hen’s point of view, is a good thing! No butter, either, hence its vegan status. Although a slice does taste amazing with a bit of butter spread on top. Just saying. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
That sounds delicious and dangerously easy to make. The tablespoon of ground ginger, fine. 50g of grated ginger 🔥??? I’ll report back if my head blow off (if I am able I should say)
KJ
Denise said…
It is easy, it is dangerously easy to make and I, too, had reservations about the amount of ginger used and I LOVE ginger. However, it was absolutely fine. I love it! Gone on, KJ, be brave…

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

St George’s Day and The Bard’s Birthday!