Skip to main content

End of the Rainbow

 

Variations on the theme of rain and sun and rain and sun means this week there has been a goodly smattering of rainbow action. A rainbow greets the hens this morning and makes for a lovely backdrop as they enjoy breakfast of buckwheat pancakes and jam. 

‘I do like a rainbow,’ says Mrs Pumphrey, deciding to go rogue and try a pancake spread with Marmite, a decision she soon realises comes laced with regret. 

‘Me, too,’ says Mrs Slocombe. ‘They’re just so…rainbowy, aren’t they?’

Mrs Poo gulps down the last of her eight pancake, releases a fairly substantial yet also ladylike burp, and dashes from the table like a hen on a mission.

‘Buckwheat does that to her sometimes,’ says Mrs Miggins. 

‘Does what?’ says Mrs Slocombe.

‘Induces a sense of urgency, if you know what I mean,’ says Miggins.

Mrs Slocombe doesn’t, but as she also doesn’t  want to get into any conversations of an unsavoury nature, she nods sagely and takes it upon herself to top up everyone’s tea mugs. All is very convivial for a Friday morning breakfast with a rainbow backdrop.

Within ten minutes, Mrs Poo returns. She is dressed in her explorer gear - sturdy knickerbockers, safari jacket, knee length boots and a pith helmet, the top of which is adorned with a large ostrich plume. She has her canvas rucksack slung over one shoulder and a massive butterfly net over the other. 

‘Going somewhere?’ says Mrs Miggins, raising an eyebrow. 

‘I’m off adventuring! I’m going to find what’s at the end of that rainbow,’ says Mrs Poo, pointing out of the window. It is the first time a glint has appeared in her eyes since the hens’ return to Much Malarkey Manor. She’s a bit of a do-er, is Mrs Poo. She’s not one to sit and crochet all day. 

Mrs Miggins laughs and the other two hens join in because Mrs Miggins is usual correct in her responses and history dictates it is always prudent to stay on the right side of correctness, for an easy life of nothing else. ‘There’s nothing at the end of a rainbow,’ she cackles. ‘Unless you are thinking of a pot of gold, of course? Ahahahahahahahahahahaha….ha!’ 

‘I might be,’ says Mrs Poo, feeling a tad indignant. ‘But I am open to all possibilities and eventualities.’ 

And, because she is not one to stand and be the silent butt of anyone’s joke, least of all to Mrs Miggins who appears to be wearing a particularly hideous pair of earrings this morning, Mrs Poo emits a large ‘huff!’ and marches out the back door. 

‘She’ll be back by lunchtime,’ predicts Mrs Miggins, and the three remaining set about their day of dealing with, and doing, all sorts of malarkey. 

Lunchtime comes and goes, and even the smell of slug au vin on toast does nothing to draw Mrs Poo homewards. The sun begins to slip slowly towards the horizon. An evening chill settles on the fields. A solitary bat flitters around for gnats and bugs, before smacking its head on the French windows of the drawing room. Mrs Slocombe administers a warm toddy of damson gin - the bat flitters off, revived.

Just after 8 p.m, with darkness settled and Mrs Slocombe whipping up a batch of hot chocolate and wondering if she should make enough for three or four, Mrs Poo crashes through the front door of the Manor, a triumphant look on her face and a jaunty air about her step. She strides through the grand hallway and down the passageway to the kitchen where hot chocolate is always partaken of, by the warmth of the Aga. 

‘Ta dah!’ she sings, flinging wide her wings and looking jolly pleased with herself.

‘Just in time for hot chocolate,’ says Mrs Slocombe, glad that her friend is safely returned.

‘Well?’ says Mrs Miggins, also secretly pleased. ‘Did you track down the end of the rainbow?’

Mrs Poo beams the beam of a smugly happy hen. ‘Yes, I abso-bloody-lutely did!’

‘And…?’ says Miggins, frowning in anticipation of being proven abso-bloody-lutely wrong regarding her morning pronouncement. 

Mrs Poo removes her trusty box brownie camera with digital conversion from her rucksack. ‘I couldn’t bring home what I found,’ she says, enigmatically. ‘Because it was way too big. But I did stand on a ladder and take a photo…’

The hens gather round Mrs Poo and peer over her shoulder into the camera’s viewing screen. 

‘This is what I found at the end of the rainbow,’ whispers Mrs Poo. ‘And isn’t it the most beautiful and precious thing of all? Worth more than all the pots of gold, don’t you think?’

And this is the photo she shows her friends…





Comments

Anonymous said…
What!!? Mrs Poo went into space!!? You lucky thing, Mrs. Poo.
KJ
Denise said…
Mrs Poo says, ‘Well, strictly speaking I didn’t go into space to get this photo. Not by rocket power anyway because I am of the environmental opinion that rockets and space travel are hideous things, what with the pollution and financial costs and all. But what I did do was climb a very tall ladder, then hoik myself up the rainbow a bit until the Unicorn Bus passed by and flew me out far enough to get a good photo. Unicorn Buses are carbon neutral. Everyone should travel by Unicorn Bus but sadly, so few people believe in them.’
Anonymous said…
Honestly, if I knew where there is a unicorn bus I would take it. My old car is now plastered up with duct tape - with stars on. I’ll leave you with that image.
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.