Skip to main content

Why Be Difficult?

 

After three years of trying, His Lordship Malarkey has finally persuaded me that it is time to change my 10 and a half year old car for something a little more, well, modern. It says something that for the previous two Winters I’ve had to scrape ice from the INSIDE of the windscreen as well as the outside. Sometimes the driver door freezes stuck, too. I’m getting too old for that faff. My fingers turn white when I hold stainless steel cutlery in the cold months, let alone having to deal with double doses of frost.

This week, then, I’ve been cracking on with the research and the preparation in order to go car shopping today! I’ve already had a bit of a win in that I managed to get my eye drops in my eyes first go, and without splattering them around the sink/ up my nose/ in my ears which is the usual pattern of all things eye drop. The signs bode well! I’ve located two cars that I think will do me very nicely indeed. I’ve compared them with similar models from other brands…or is it species? I’m never sure with cars…anyway, I’ve compared them and still like them best. This is mostly because during the past 38 years of being an official driver (as opposed to an unofficial one in a transit van/ on a tractor driving around my grandparents’ farm) most of the cars I’ve chosen have been selected because of a) their colour and b) their looks. Except for my first car, which my Dad bought me so I had no choice, then a hideous yellow estate that was a family car over which I had no say, and the grey car Andy and I bought just before we got married which was a bargain, price-wise, and it would have been rude to say no despite its greyness. Rest assured, dear reader, neither of the cars I have located to see today are grey. 

Other than that it’s been colour and looks all the way which probably puts me on a par with a vacuous reality TV star but hey, there are worse crimes. Aren’t there? 

Because my car has a private number plate (inherited from my Dad when he died in 1998; I think he got it on a maroon Volvo back in the mid-Seventies so it’s a bit of an heirloom now) I have the added rigamarole of taking the plate off my current car and putting it on a retainer (at the cost of £80 - thanks DVLA), replacing the original plates my current car was born with (saved from Andy taking them to the tip twice because he didn’t know they were still relevant), and telling my insurance company that my car, although still the same, now had a different registration.

After sitting on the phone for ages (currently experiencing a high volume of calls apparently) I got through to a nice lady who said I could have done it all on-line. I said no I couldn’t because I tried and a message popped up saying the service to notify of a change in registration plates was currently unavailable on-line. She said, oh it should be available, and I said well, it wasn’t, and we reached an impasse and she charged me £25 for the privilege of ringing her and telling her the new registration number. I said, are you going to charge me ANOTHER £25 when I call back to say I’ve put my private plate on my new car. She said that if I did it within 14 days then, no, it would be part of the same transaction. She put a note on my account to that effect. I am dubious about the efficacy of her note and am already bracing myself for the return match. 

She said, I’ll just check to make sure this change doesn’t affect the cost of your policy. I said, it’s the same car, just under a different number. She sounded a bit flustered, then laughed and said, oh yes - of course! We had a bit of a chuckle together. I moaned about the extra costs involved when buying a new car. She said she hoped it would be worth it and wished me a lovely evening. Which I did actually have. Perhaps she was magic or something??

This morning, I thought I’d better check to make sure my bank debit card didn’t have a transaction limit because I didn’t want any annoying situations occurring in the car dealership where I might be accused of scamming my own money from my own account. Went on the bank app, like us modern gals do, and was met with the full stupidity of the robot assistant. Firstly, it didn’t understand my question and asked me to rephrase it, which I kindly did. Then it asked me to identify the transaction I had identified as unrecognised on my account. I said it wasn’t unrecognised because it hadn’t happened yet. I said I wanted to buy a car using my debit card. It said it was sorry my card had been stolen, did I want to freeze the card? No, I said. It hasn’t been stolen. Oh, said the WonderRobot, have you lost it? I’m sorry to hear that. Have you tried looking for it in unusual places? Patronising, I thought. 

Clearly, WonderRobot had me down for a mad, scatty woman of a certain age who puts her debit card in the fridge and tries to post slices of cheese into ATM machines and swipe pats of butter to make cashless payments. I took a deep breath. My card is neither lost nor stolen, I typed. I want to know if it’s got a transaction limit. 

I’m sorry, said WonderRobot. I don’t understand the question. Would you rephrase it? 

I typed, ‘This is pointless…’

WonderRobot typed, ‘I’m glad I was able to help you today!’

I typed, ‘You haven’t.’ 

And as WonderRobot started to ask me how it could help, I left the building. I visited Google. Who told me immediately what the limit on my debit card was. And as I’m not buying a top end gas guzzler, I think I’ll be okay. 

Wish me luck…

Comments

Anonymous said…
I load robo/fill-in-the-blanks, drives me bonkers. Might save THEM some time but I wish I could bill them MY time. That might shut those systems down. I am driving a 21 year old car. We have decided that when it dies I’ll get upgraded. Do you think that thing will die!!!? Nope.
Looking forward to read about your car buying experience. May it go smoothly.
KJ
Denise said…
I feel a bit guilty about replacing my car which is approaching its 11th birthday, because it still runs very well. But hey! A new car!!!
Anonymous said…
Girl, do not complain. I can tell you a story about driving the “good” car over a mountain pass and have it break down while navigating a couple of hair pin turns. No mobile phone connection what so ever and relying of a Good Samaritan for contact to civilization. No joke.
Newer cars have a better chance of being comfortable and reliable.
KJ
Denise said…
My thoughts exactly, KJ. Comfort and reliability!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.