Skip to main content

Potting On

 I’m watching ‘The Royal Chelsea Flower Show’ preview on TV, and one of the features is about how plants make a huge difference to the learning that goes on in schools. Better air quality, engagement with learning, connecting with Nature, mental health well-being…you get the gist. Of course, those of us who garden, and include the nurturing of house plants in that activity, will already know the therapeutic value of plants. It’s good to know schools are beginning to realise this, too.

At the last school I taught at - a school for children with emotional, social and behavioural problems - I created a feature of plants in the centre of my classroom. The desks were arranged around the central display so that everyone could see the plants all the time. The children enjoyed having the plants there and their behaviours and attitudes improved. They liked caring for the plants, they didn’t want to trash the room because they didn’t want to ‘hurt the plants’ and, on occasion, I would send a baby seedling plant home with child who had taken a particular fancy to a certain species. Some of the plants were given names. Sometimes the display was rearranged. Sometimes a plant was removed from the central display to sit with a child at their desk whilst they worked, a sort of horticultural learning buddy!  The engagement with the plants by these disturbed, angry and anxious children was lovely to see. 

Unfortunately, sadly, madly, the Senior Leadership Team decided I no longer needed a classroom and I was directed to teach by travelling from room to room, carrying all my books and equipment with me in a box. Of course, this meant the end of my plant display because when one is carrying a set of textbooks and various stationery equipment around a school for 6 lessons a day, one cannot balance half a dozen or more pot plants on top. The plants came home with me, I attempted to teach English out of a box for a few months, then admitted defeat and left teaching for good. A sad end, but it was what it was. I wish I had fought harder for my classroom. It’s a regret I’ve just about learned to accept, forget and leave in the past where it belongs. It still stings though. Every now and again. 

Today, I have potted on the cheese plant and transferred five baby spider plants from their parent plant to their own pots. This brings my houseplant total to 22. There are more baby spider plants on their way but I shall wait a while before I pot those on, mostly because I don’t want Andy to panic at the number of plants that are appearing on every flat surface! I also dug up an ENORMOUSLY rooted spearmint and put it in a large deep pot in the courtyard. I do love mint, but not when it tries to take over more than its fair share of space. Mint in a pot is the only sensible way to go. 

Made apple and blackberry jam yesterday! It’s the easiest jam I’ve ever made and it is bloomin’ luvverly.  I made some scones to go with it. Add a dollop of whipped double cream et voila! A gorgeous cream tea! And the best thing is that I got five jars of top quality product for the price of a bag of granulated sugar and a lemon. Free apples and blackberries - can’t beat making the most of what’s on your doorstep, can you? 

I’ve two more books to add to my reading pile…


Well, there’s nothing much on the TV these days, is there? And why watch other people doing stuff, when you can be doing stuff yourself? 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great, now I’m hankering for scones! And some rainy days with the fire going, in the wood stove I haste to add!, and perhaps a cup of real hot chocolate to go with the scones and a nap on the sofa.
KJ
Denise said…
There’s a lot to be said for hunkering down for Winter, KJ!

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.