Skip to main content

My Place

 

The urge to organise has been strong within me these last few days. Thusly, I’ve been sorting, sifting, moving stuff around, rationalising space and being amazed at how much more space I have than I thought I had, once things are arranged in a proper fashion and not merely bunged/ stuffed/ squished into a space. Air, it seems, takes up a lot of space. Eliminate air and your space increases. Don’t eliminate air from your lungs though. Not permanently, anyway. It’ll make you puff a bit. Probably faint, too. 

The reason for this activity is that I have been moving my bits and bobs out of my end of the garden studio and  into the front bedroom, the room formerly known as The Zen Den and now known as the reading/ writing/ meditation/ sewing/ crafting and general arty-farty room. (I shall work on a new, more succinct name. If there was a fish bowl involved, I might call it ‘My Plaice’ but there isn’t, so I shan’t. It can’t be the Zen Den anymore because it is now home to WAY more activity and the air of Zenful peace has been somewhat agitated. Still creativity and restful, of course - just more, well, bouncy.) 

And the reason I have moved from the garden studio is that I feel very strongly that it should be solely Andy’s art space. He is a way more talented artist than I am and I think he needs to be able to spread out and do his art properly because I am convinced he has the makings of a new career in his art work which means he will be able to step further away from being a vet. Also, his art is mucky - watercolours, lino printing, pen and ink drawing. And my art is clean - embroidery, sewing - and the two were never going to mix. So the studio is now Andy’s Art Workshop and I’m cosied up in the front bedroom. The only thing still to be moved is my Gran’s sewing table which is a renovation work in progress and I need to do a bit more shuffling around to find a suitable space for it. 

Sorting through stuff (and disposing of some of it because I’d forgotten I had it and, quite frankly, if you are finding things you’d forgotten you had, you probably don’t need them anymore) and recreating a new order has caused me to think about life and activity in general. These days I am quite content with my small and quiet world. I’ve gone from visions of being a best-selling, globe trotting novelist to writing a poem about a worm just because it entertained me. I think, over the years, that my problem has been that I’ve flitted too often and too quickly from one Grand Plan to another Grand Plan, never quite being able to summon the gumption or conviction to stick with something long enough to make it valuable or worthwhile. I think my boredom threshold must be on the low side. Perhaps my mission is to cram as much into my life as possible? Who knows? 

Anyway, I’ve realised that there have been four constants through my life that I keep returning too, that I never tire of. And they are reading, writing, sewing and gardening. Just those things. And I’ve decided that maybe I’ll feel more settled in myself if I stick to these four things and stop looking for the next new thing, the ‘could this be THE thing that’s going to help me to make my mark in the world?’ thing.  Perhaps, after all this time, I’ve realised there is no mark to be made. 

I’ve got myself organised now. I have recognised my occupations. As long as I can read, write, garden and sew, my life will be content. Nothing big needs to come from these occupations. The big thing is their ability to create happiness in life. And that’s big enough for me. I have my place. 





Comments

Anonymous said…
You are making a mark on this world with this blog. You write something and you make people think. Mission accomplished. Don’t stop though, you have more to say I’m sure! A Room of Ones Own! How’s envy you right now. Sigh. We too are shifting and moving and shaking things up. 15 years of accumulation is weighing down on us and we need to move things in order to…be able to move. We are not actually moving out just moving within.
KJ
Denise said…
I like that, KJ - the idea of moving within. A perfect description! I find that the older I become, the less I need ‘stuff’ around me. I can’t be doing with it all. Thank you for your continued support of the blog! xx
Anonymous said…
Girl, you ain’t getting rid of me. 🤗
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.