Skip to main content

So Sad, So Smile!

 


On a shopping trip to Aldi this morning, an elderly gentleman called out to me as I was pushing my full trolley to my car. 

‘Hello! Excuse me!’ he shouted. 

I turned to him with a smile, which he could see because since the mandatory wearing of face masks ceased two and a half weeks ago, I’ve stopped wearing one in shops. It has been a blessed relief. I have struggled with wearing a mask for the last year and have great admiration for people who have to wear them for their jobs. 

Back to the elderly gentleman. ‘Excuse me,’ said he. ‘But are masks still required to go in there? I’ve been waiting in my car for someone to come out who wasn’t wearing one, so that I could ask.’ 

‘It’s personal choice now,’ I said. ‘I stopped wearing one as soon as I could. I couldn’t breathe properly, so I am happy they are no longer law.’ 

The elderly gentleman’s face lit up. ‘Oh, I’m so glad,’ he said. ‘I couldn’t bear it. They are so stuffy, aren’t they? Made me panic a bit, too. Horrible things.’

I nodded. ‘Most people in there are still wearing them so you might feel a bit of the odd one out. But it’s fine. I’ve had no negative comments or experiences.’

‘And I’ll still keep my distance,’ said the elderly gentleman, almost as if asking permission, bless him.

‘Of course,’ said I. ‘To be honest, I always used to keep my distance before this Covid stuff happened. I’m not a pushy shopper. Never have been keen on crowds.’

He laughed. ‘I shall follow your example, then. Thank you!’ and off he headed to the shop entrance, a spring in his step. And I hope he felt that buzz of elation that I felt, too, on achieving my first uneventful supermarket visit without a mask. 

What have we come to, that people are now anxious and scared to go about a regular and most basic activity such as shopping because of the potential reactions by others to the wearing, or not, of a mask? I have to say on my first maskless visit I felt slightly trepidatious that someone would challenge me, or be negative or abusive because, basically, I’m a nice person who wants people to like me. My fears were unfounded, thank goodness. 

I understand why people want to continue wearing a mask if it makes them feel safe and comfortable. And that’s fine, although I miss the smiles and chats of pre-Covid shopping days, those human interaction, those most basic of connections. Having my face covered makes me feel anxious, panicky and catching at my breath. I thought I’d learn to cope, but I didn’t. Daft, isn’t it? But there it is. I hope never to feel like that again.

And to that end, I have bought a sunflower lanyard to carry in my bag as a discrete message to anyone who might get arsey because I’m not wearing a mask and they think I ought to be. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.