Skip to main content

I Bring You Flowers!

 Today is the start of the Wildlife Trust’s ‘30 Days Wild’, an environmental initiative to encourage folk to commit Random Acts of Wildness during the month of June. Here are some of the activities they suggest you try...




...and I began the month by sowing a packet of wildflower seeds. I sowed them in a large pot, because some of the contents of the seed packet are NOT what I would like to see released into the wild of my garden. Especially ones like buttercups which are one of my constant battle weed enemies...I mean, plants. By sowing the wildflowers in a pot my plan is to see what comes up then cherry pick what goes into the garden. That’s the plan anyway. And we all know what Nature thinks of a plan. But I can at least try. 

I had a pootle around the home estate to see what flowers are now in bloom, given that a week ago they were all hiding from the cold, rain, wind and frost but now we’ve had a few days of sunshine, dare I say...Summer??!! Hurrah!!! And this is what I found:


...yellow poppies amongst the lemon balm. I always let poppies stay. They are welcome wherever they grow no matter how inconvenient...

...purple things. No idea what the purple thistle doo-dahs are called but I do know that I can pull them up at the end of their season and they come back without any help whatsoever the following year. The bottom ones are aquilegia - these I have a constant battle with because they seed EVERYWHERE. But I let them stay within their allotted beds because they are cheerful...



 ...pink things : more aquilegia and an alpine which I thought was dead but clearly just hibernating before revealing its full and glorious beauty! 

A rhododendron. It was tiny and half dead when we arrived at Damson Cottage, but it has come on very well the last two years so I shall forgive it its hideous peach colour...


Elderflower and hawthorn. We have a lot of both. They render the trees and hedges very bridal in appearance...

Looking up into the wisteria which has finally burst into life when I feared the cold weather wouldn’t allow it blossom before the leaves appeared. The wisteria is three weeks later than it was last year. Climate change, eh?


White daisy stuff. No idea of the name, but it’s very pretty and makes me smile...


A ladybird on the leftover flowers of the rosemary which is growing far too big and rangy for its own good. I think I ought to replace it - the rosemary, not the ladybird - but can’t quite bring myself to do so because it keeps pretending to be dead, then comes back with a vengeance. I hope to emulate this rosemary when my death bed time comes. Relatives beware...

And finally, the first blooms of ‘Wild Eldric’ the vicious bastard rose hedge at the front of the house. It’s beautiful, with a most delicious scent, but I know it will rip my arms to shreds come pruning time.

More flowers than I thought! I enjoyed my flower pootle enormously, and I hope you did, too. 

Go on - plant some flowers! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.