Skip to main content

First Aid for First Aid

 Today I have a bit of a swollen bruisy area on my right hand, an injury sustained yesterday at the First Aid course I attended where I discovered just how brutal you have to be when delivering chest compressions PROPERLY and to the tune of ‘Nellie the Elephant.’ 

‘Try not to sing it out loud,’ said Steve, the instructor. ‘It might be frowned upon by some people.’ 

He was a very good instructor. A paramedic. Engaging, knowledgable and with a quiet and wicked sense of humour. Made the six and half hours fly by. Best first aid course I’ve ever attended. 

Anyway, with my left hand pushing down hard on my right hand in order to achieve the correct timings and pressure (the practise dummies were all linked by Bluetooth to a computer programme that told you if you were compressing too hard/too soft/too fast/too slow) I have acquired the aforementioned swollen bruisy bit but I also scored 100% for technique which satisfied my perfectionist nature and more than made up for the discomfort. Anyone wanting a bit of CPR, I’m your gal! 

But we’re not allowed to do the breaths bit at the moment. Because of the zombie apocalypse. Best save your collapse for once we are out of lockdown, eh? 

Steve showed us a video clip of a chap having a real and actual heart attack. It was caught on film because the chap in question was part of a helicopter rescue team being filmed for a documentary back in 2010. He was a call receiver, had arrived at work that morning feeling ‘a bit unwell’ and the next thing everyone knew, he was having a heart attack. Of course, if you’re going to have a heart attack, best do it when you are surrounded by paramedics. It was fascinating to watch, but I soon had tears dripping down my face because it made me think of my Dad, who died from a heart attack when he was 56. He was at home when it started - I remember him clinging onto the kitchen sink, clearly in pain and trying to be stoical. An on-call doctor was called, who duly prescribed Dad two indigestion tablets. 

‘When someone is in severe chest pain, you call an ambulance,’ said Steve, during the video clip. ‘It’s very difficult to tell the difference between indigestion and a heart attack. So you always assume a heart attack.’ 

I wish that on-call doctor had known that. And called an ambulance. It could, literally, have been the difference between life and death. No point in dwelling though, is there? And I’ve done a first aid course, so I know what to do now, and that’s the main thing.

Anyway, I sat in the corner, watching this video clip (the chap involved survived!), trying not to sniffle too loudly, mopping up my tears with an inadequate napkin leftover from the lunch that was provided, and hoping I wasn’t making a fool of myself. No one asked me if I was okay, so I think I got away with my public display of unexpected emotion: ‘When did your Dad die?’ ‘Oh, well over 20 years ago....’

Can you imagine? Just shows how these things can lay hidden and pop up again with only the slightest provocation. 

I used my healer training to ground myself and get my energy centred. Carried on with the course enjoying the high jinks that come with applying bandages to a cardboard tube stuck with shards of plastic to simulate a human arm with an embedded foreign body. 

Got a certificate. Went home. Ate biscuits. 



Comments

Athene said…
Twenty days, twenty years - makes no difference, it never gets easier. Well done on taking the course.
Denise said…
It did rather take me by surprise, Olly. I don’t know - maybe I’m feeling extra sensitive now, as my healer training develops?

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.