Skip to main content

Big Butts!

 


Two water butts arrived at Damson Cottage this week, making us a 7 water butt household. There are three between the garden shed and the compost bins at the top of the garden, two in the courtyard collecting rainwater from the cottage roof, and now there is one attached to the greenhouse and another to the laundry. It’s all strategic, you know, to cut down on hefting watering cans back and forth across the homelands. Some might call it laziness, I call it efficiency. Anyway, 7 butts - Drippy, Sloshy, Soggy, Drench, Puddle, Mozzy and Fred. I am NOT Snow White. Heaven forfend...

(I should like to point out that they are standard green water butts and not water butts shaped like bottoms as in the photo I’ve chosen to illustrate today’s blogpost. The photo is for comic effect only - I would NEVER install such a monstrosity in my garden. I have way too much class. Arse-shaped water butts? No thank you.)

It’s been a busy week, not quite sure how because I wasn’t expecting it to be. I’ve been at work. At the beginning of the week I got drowned and half frozen to death in a thunderstorm and yesterday I got sunburnt on my shoulders and sustained a large insect bite to my neck. I’ve been in various meetings but none of them have caused me to be so bored that I’ve felt the need to doodle on the accompanying paperwork or draft an idea for a novel in the guise of ‘making important footnotes.’ So that was good. Treated myself to a couple of books, some Soap and Glory goodies, and a packet of chocolate buttons.

His Lordship Malarkey has turned the dining room into a mini-EBay hub because he has decided the time is right to sell off some of his Doctor Who/ science fiction collection. Perhaps it’s because he is now 50 and feels the need to ‘put away childish things’? I don’t know; I kept asking him if he was sure because I know how he has treasured these things for decades. However, he has buried himself beneath swathes of brown paper and sticky tape, and his offerings have been flying from the EBay shelves for often quite ridiculous sums. Two books went for over £50 each!

 ‘Is the buyer MAD?’ said I. 

‘Yes,’ said Himself.

Thus, he seems resolved to sell and has earned himself a considerable sum in doing so. And, quietly, I am happy because you know how I feel about extraneous ‘stuff.’ 

Because a lot of this extraneous ‘stuff’ was living in the back bedroom it has ignited, once more, my interest in decorating the room. It’s the only room we haven’t renovated since moving here, and it was on my project list for last year. But, well, you know, global turmoil stopped play. However, I’ve been having a tentative look at carpet samples, bed frames and paint colours, and it might just happen this year. Need to work myself into a bit more of an interior design frenzy first, though.

Lots of fledgling activity happening. Baby blackbirds, sparrows, robins, pheasant and assorted tits and finches all hanging around and learning The Ways of Bird. Mummy Swallow still sitting on her eggs. One of our bantams was sitting on an egg too - a single egg - until I wrangled her off it. Honestly, don’t keep bantam hens. They are insistently broody and will cling onto a nest like a toddler dropping to the ground in a tantrum. Mollie had a broody patch last month and now May is having a go. May is virtually menopausal, for heavens’ sake. And when they go broody, they stop laying. Seriously, I’ve never had a gang of chickens be so rubbish at earning their keep...

And that’s it, I think. Time to toddle off and do something useful. Happy Bank Holiday Weekend, everyone! It might not rain...




Comments

Anonymous said…
I am afraid you might have jinxed it with your new set up of water butts (and now you have effectively inserted an earworm in me). I predict you are going to have a long dry summer... Good on Andy for cashing in on his loot. I suspect he is going to tell you that this is only happening BECAUSE he has collected it for so long. My husband says he is going to do a major clean out - the cynical little voice inside me is saying: "prove it". But I would never say that out loud. :-)

KJ
Denise said…
KJ - of course it is ironic that the day the water butts were delivered turned out to be the sunniest and warmest day of May thus far, and today we’ve experienced approximately 11 drops of rain. Typical, eh? And if it’s any consolation, I’ve been suffering the ear worm all day, too! Andy has just started his second round of EBay frenzy...the ‘stuff’ is diminishing. And if he can do it, then your hubs can too!! x
Anonymous said…
Bravo Andy!!! and may he never loose his childishness... Regarding my husband ... I am lost for words... but my argument can't be heard over the boxes and boxes of yarn I just said yes to.
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.