Skip to main content

Laundry Room Action

 I had a bit of a fracas yesterday with a lady Queen wasp who seemed intent on starting a nest in the laundry. I pointed out to her that 1) she was on private property 2) she was building RIGHT in the doorway and therefore in my way and 3) the swallows have already rented the property for the season and subletting was not an option. 

She said...well, I can’t repeat what she said because it is unbecoming of a lady of my ilk to repeat it and it is CERTAINLY too navvy-like in expression to impose on the tender eyeballs of my reader(s). Suffice to say she got a bit shirty. 

We’ve had Queen wasp nests in the laundry before...



These are they: very delicate, very beautiful, full of eggs that hatch into other wasps who then decide to make huge nests in the eaves of the house which is NOT good, neither for us (all that scratching and demolition of pointing between bricks) nor for the wasps - death by Pest Controller. 

And I can’t be doing with having things pest controlled. I am a Friend of Living Things. I would rather encourage nest building elsewhere. In previous years wasps have nested in an abandoned upturned gardening trug, in hedges and under exposed tree roots. This is fine. Everyone is happy. But wasps are not welcome near or in the house and its extended buildings. 

The lady Queen wasp had built her nest only half the size of the above pictures and certainly no eggs were injured in the moment when I knocked it down from the laundry ceiling with my window cleaning squeegee. I was almost injured because I didn’t realise lady Queen wasp was still inside. She got a bit loud and sassy - lots of aggressive wing vibrations. I thought it best to stand still until she left the building. 

Blow me down if she wasn’t back an hour later scoping out a new site in the same area. She got as far as making a little paper nobbly bit on which to dangly a new nest so I knocked that off, too, and then I hung the peg bag from a nail in the beams in the fashion of a Waspinator, which is a pretend wasp nest. If wasps think a colony is already in situ they will move on elsewhere. Well, this peg bag ‘nest’ is the right size and shape; I just hope lady Queen wasp doesn’t notice it is decorated with yellow and green cartoon chickens.

The laundry has been a-chitter and a-chatter with swallow activity this morning. Mr Swallow has been joined by another swallow, I think a lady, and they have been swooping in and out of the laundry door all morning. They are either cleaning out the old nest from last year or building a new nest, which will be slightly irksome because if it is Option 2 I could have rescued my red dustpan and brush, around whose handle last year’s nest was constructed. I’m not inclined to disturb them just yet to have a look. I’ll have a quick peek this evening when I make a dash for peas from the freezer.

I’m wholly in awe of these little birds. They travel 6,000 miles twice a year to avoid Winter weather, which is a lot of effort for the sake of popping on an extra jumper and maybe some earmuffs and mittens. But goodness, what a marvel are swallows! I think about the instinct that drives them, their strength and energy for one so tiny, the dangers they face in their migrations and their sheer determination to live. And I think, ‘There’s a lot I can learn from a swallow.’ They are, as Stephen Moss says in his admirable and beautiful book ‘The Swallow: a Biography’ - ‘...little short of a miracle.’ 

The garden is awash with blossoms. I’m particularly enamoured of the cherry blossom, the violets and the forget-me-nots. I’ll leave you with some photos so you can enjoy them, too...









Comments

Anonymous said…
Wasp queens need to be dealt with rather quickly. They will go to great lengths to defend what they consider their territory. Good on you for showing her the, eh, door.
KJ
Anonymous said…
I forgot to mention how lovely your for-get-me-not look trellising over your stone walls.
KJ
Denise said…
Every year I love that the forget-me-nots put on a stunning show with no help from me whatsoever, KJ! And they are so easy to clear away once they’ve finished flowering, too.

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think.