Skip to main content

Waste and Ambiguity

 


Every week my work place requires me to take a Covid test regardless of whether I have symptoms. I am provided with a kit, so each week I generate considerable rubbish waste namely : a polythene bag containing the kit, a substantial instruction book (printed in glossy colour), a plastic covering surrounding the enormous cotton bud swab thing, several inches of plastic stick because once you’ve swabbed your throat and nose you break off the excess stick so the swab end will fit in the mini test tube. And then I have to construct a small cardboard box in which to post the test, put the test tube in another plastic bag along with a piece of absorbent wadding of material unknown (presumably to catch accidental spillages of bio-hazard liquid) and seal the box with a large sticker. And then I have to find a ‘Priority Post Box’ and post it. 

Times this amount of rubbish by the number of people doing tests every day and driving around to locate a priority post box and I think we’ve set back our environmental credentials by ten years. At least. 

And then you have to register the test on the Government website. Takes about 5 minutes. I answer the basic ‘essential’ information and ignore the ‘non-essential’ questions. Once registered, you get an email saying you have registered, and then a day or so later your result comes through not via one email, but two. And there I was reading a couple of weeks ago that we should be limiting our number of emails. For the benefit of the environment.

The test itself takes less than a minute. I find it revolting that you swab your tonsils - cue massive heaving and gagging reflex - then put the same swab up your nose. Yes, I know it’s all me and my germs and the cavities are all part of the same ear, nose and throat system, but even so. Thank goodness we aren’t required to follow the Chinese method, eh? Tonsil, nose and now bend over. Bleurgh...

The biggest challenge is making up the small cardboard box in which to send off the test. Talk about fiddly. But I’ve got the knack now. Just need to watch out for the potential for a finger laceration.

But what entertains me the most is the ambiguity of the wording of the test result. Underneath the bit that says ‘Your test was negative’ there is what I can only describe as a disclaimer which says, ‘It’s likely you did not have the virus when the test was done.’ 

What? So it could also be likely that I DID have the virus and the result could be a false negative? That a few minutes AFTER doing the test I might have become infected by the virus thereby making me a hazard to anyone I meet regardless? But for the actual 30 seconds it took to do the test, for that actual moment in time only, I was probably virus free and everyone around me was safe. Well, how reassuring. Especially as I do the test alone and over the bathroom sink just in case the heaving and gagging goes a step further. Apologies if you are reading this whilst eating.

On the registration site you have to tick one of two boxes depending on whether you are doing the test WITH symptoms or WITHOUT symptoms. My suspicious nature thinks that when tests arrive at wherever they are processed, they are married up with their registration and if the ‘No symptoms’ box has been ticked, the test is chucked straight in the bin. The devil in me wants to tick the ‘With symptoms’ box, just to see if my test comes back positive and I get to have a week off work isolating with sick pay.

 I do hope they are recycling the cardboard boxes, though. 




Comments

Anonymous said…
and that's the devil with the testing... and the false negative which is pretty high depending on the test. I guess that technically speaking you shouldn't go anywhere or see anyone for the test to be worth it before you go to work? It seems a bit like a false security/safety but it's the best we have right now. That and checking your temperature when you arrive at work.
Happy Friday
KJ
Denise said…
And to add to the jumble, KJ, testing without symptoms can lead to higher cases of false positives. I’m still more perturbed by the waste that is produced by doing these less than reliable tests.
Anonymous said…
Yes, I can see that. We are still not allowed to ring our own bag to the grocery store. Talk about waste.
KJ

Popular posts from this blog

The Frosted Dawn Enigma

The decorators are in at the moment. Stairs and landing. Given my previous history of 'Hoo Ha Occurring on Stairs ' - reference the Trapped Under the Sofa Incident and the Foot Wedged Between Bookcase and Stair Rise Debacle - I thought it wise to pay for professionals to decorate the stairs and landing rather than get myself in a mix with ladder and plank combinations and achieve the Magic Three of staircase accidents. The decorators are a father and son combo who go by the  names of Craig and David. This automatically causes me entertainment. 'Came in on a Monday, prepped, filled and undercoated, back on Thursday, first top coating, by Friday finishing touches...' Okay, not as frisky or well-scanned as the original song, but you get where I'm coming from. Anyway, before they started the job Craig asked what colour I wanted for the walls. 'Same colour as the downstairs walls, please,' said I. 'Dulux Frosted Dawn.' And then white for all the woodw

Launched!

  I was going to wait until tomorrow to launch the ‘Hallo Tarot!’ website, what with tomorrow being 1st July and, therefore, a nice tidy date for a beginning. But this afternoon, I became involved in a flurry of final tidy loose ends activity, and thus ended up cracking the metaphorical bottle of champagne against the ship of which I am Captain and whoosh! Off she went into the World Wide Web!  You can find it here : www.hallotarot.co.uk The blog is moving there, too, so unless things go horribly wrong, this will be the last entry here.  I hope to see you on the other side then! Let me know what you think. 

Day 1 - Decisions Are Made Beyond the Author's Control.

‘Well,’ I say, looking at the expectant faces gathered around the huge table in the Great Dining Hall of Much Malarkey Manor, ‘I didn’t think it was going to happen this year, but it is!’ There is a sharp intake of breath as everyone wonders of what I speak. I’ve been muttering about all sorts recently, and I’m not talking liquorice here either.   ‘The Much Malarkey Manor Annual and Traditional Christmas Story!’ I say, and wait for the expulsed air of relief to settle before I continue. ‘I thought we had done it all. I thought we had covered every Christmas story there was. I’ve been wracking my brains for a full two months now, trying to come up with something we haven’t done before and then it hit me! We haven’t done a version of one of the Great Christmas Films of Yore!’ ‘Your what?’ says Mrs Slocombe, who is more interested in the selection of pastries I have brought to this breakfast meeting, because that is what one does, isn’t it? Eat pastries at breakfast mee